Beginner Minor focusing issue

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I have a minor question about focusing, when I am trying to focus on some subjects I find the camera is trying to focus on something behind the subject or even to the side of it?. It sometimes feels like a battle of wills lol, is this normal from time to time with auto focus?, or should I just switch to use manual focus?. If I need to use manual focus, should I just get manual lenses?, I hope that all makes sense. I am using a Panasonic G5 at the moment.
Thanks Andy

Hi all, I have a minor question about focusing, when I am trying to focus on some subjects I find the camera is trying to focus on something behind the subject or even to the side of it?. It sometimes feels like a battle of wills lol, is this normal from time to time with auto focus?, or should I just switch to use manual focus?. If I need to use manual focus, should I just get manual lenses?, I hope that all makes sense. I am using a Panasonic G5 at the moment.
Thanks Andy
Check your focus area, and put it on the smallest area.

Thanks Sangoma, I have focus set to AFS and single area in the centre, but for some reason (probably me) it seem to want to focus just behind, I have highlighted the area it wanted to focus on in the picture below, I have no doubt it is down to me but just wanted to ask.
sample.JPG

Are you hand holding or on a tripod? You might be moving the camera as you press the shutter and moving the focus point. The focus areas tend to be larger than the box in the viewfinder, which can also cause an issue. Most cameras will tend to focus on the closest high contrast object within the focus zone. This would appear to be the flower in the example provided, so it may be that you are moving the focus point off the subject.

Thanks Honey Monster, yes it was hand held, and I do shake quite a bit lol, one of the reasons I stopped shooting was my shaking when not on a rest. Looks like I may need a monopod, my tripod is to much to carry about.

Thanks Honey Monster, yes it was hand held, and I do shake quite a bit lol, one of the reasons I stopped shooting was my shaking when not on a rest. Looks like I may need a monopod, my tripod is to much to carry about.
It would be worth trying with a monopod or tripod or by resting your camera on something solid. You can then confirm whether my suggestion was correct.

Last edited:
Have you tried pushing your elbows towards each other and then pulling them into yourself to form your own 'organic tripod'?

I would say looking at your example nothing is wrong, every camera I have used you have to check what it focuses on when they are that close. Spot focus helps, and practice makes perfect :)

Camera is fine Sangoma, it is just the idiot on the other end that screws things up lol.

Have you tried pushing your elbows towards each other and then pulling them into yourself to form your own 'organic tripod'?
Elbows in elbows out, tried allsorts lol, even digging my elbows into my ribs doesnt help, my hands and forearms just shake lol, I sometime wonder how I get my coffee from the kitchen to my chair without losing most of it lol. Good job I dont drink anymore, that would get expensive. Anyway back to looking at lenses and other such lovely things that I might be able to buy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sky
Might be worth using Back Button Focus, check google on how to set it up on your camera.

Some people can't get on with it.

Basically it will allow you to focus on what you want, you then remove your finger from the AFL button and the camera will not change focus again. Press the shutter button to take the picture.

Oh dear, I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I have the same issue - definitely getting worse with age . . . :runaway:

As Pete suggests BBF, that might be worth a try - it certainly helps me. (y)

Last edited:
Oh dear, I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I have the same issue - definitely getting worse with age . . . :runaway:

As Pete suggests BBF, that might be worth a try - it certainly helps me. (y)
I will look into that one, but I think my best bet is getting someone else to take the photo for me lol,

I think this is just a case of the camera's AF system doing whatever the hell it wants to. Even the best modern AF systems can hunt around or get it wrong spectacularly if the image is busy or there are multiple potential subjects.

If I find single point AF isn't locking on to what I want it to, I'll often point the AF point somewhere on the same sort of focal plane as the subject I want but far enough away from the distraction so it ignores it.

Usually after this, the intended subject will come into focus much quicker.

That's my experience with Panasonic DFD Contrast AF in the past, if worst comes to the worst set your lens to manual focus and dial it in precisely, subject permitting of course.

Focus frustrations happen to everyone, don't beat yourself up too much.

Thanks Adam, just wanted to check I wasn't being a total muppet lol.

Last edited:
I don’t shake but I do notice I seem to sway slightly fore and back when looking at screen or view finder.

I think no one has mentioned it yet but in the case of plants, as in the OP, they are almost always moving slightly even when there is little wind so leaf or petal may have caught the attention of the AF at the wrong moment.

I don't know the camera but with some, when using a single point for focussing, you can move your single point from the centre.
This hasn't happened by accident has it?

I highly doubt it is the photographer shaking, if any shaking was of such magnitude that the focus point changed, I would have thought it far more likely that there would be camera shake and the whole image would appear blurred. I'd go with what Sangoma says: I would say looking at your example nothing is wrong, every camera I have used you have to check what it focuses on when they are that close. Spot focus helps, and practice makes perfect :)

Also, go with the BBF suggestion.

As mentioned, your focus point may have moved. Check they it is still in the centre, and hasn't been moved by an accidental touch on the screen (nose is quite common)
If it keeps happening, disable the touch screen in the menu.

I never use the touch screen, so mine are all disabled when I first use the cameras

I doubt if this was the cause though, as it was so close to what you wanted.

Some cameras have the option of showing the focus point (mine puts a red box on screen) to show what you (it) focused on. Might be worth trying if you have this as it shows the target so to speak. That way you can see what it chose.
I use the centre single point and usually focus and recompose if my target isnt in the middle, which it usually isnt. I have found one of my cameras has a very fine "hair trigger" and the difference between holding focus and shooting is tiny. All too often it shoots as I move the camera, normally I notice, and back button foxusung would cure it. Sadly I cant get on with BBF.

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like this from MFT. The only question I can come up with is could minimum focus distance be at play here? If you are at or near the minimum distance at which the lens can focus the camera/lens could struggle.

I mostly use centre point and imo tripods or monopods or the position of your elbows shouldn't come into this. Something looks very wrong but exactly what it is I can only guess at so my advice is to try one focus point and be aware that at close distances the camera may struggle so if shots do involve things close to the camera and focus issues occur step back a bit and try again.

Just got out the G5 to check.

Check the focus mode is set to AFS

Press the left button, select the 1-Area (second from the right) and adjust the size using the back thumbwheel.

That gives you a white box which shows what you will focus on.

Or

Press the left button, select the far right option Pinpoint

That will give you a white cross to show what you will focus on

Mine is set to enlarge the point you are focussing on, to make it easy to check it focussed on the right thing.

Thanks everyone, that all puts my mind at ease lol, I am now certain it was pilot error, just like I often catch the FN2 button with the joint of my thumb and get a message on screen telling me something has been asigned to the button (I forget off hand what it is ), I am just a clumbsy old git lol, anyway back to drooling over lenses, I need some more, would like a macro, would like the 100-300, and a couple of primes/ maybe a 25mm f1.7 and the 42.5mm f1.7 lol, getting greedy now.

Back