Mirror lockup

Edit My Images
No
After reading Marcels's review of the ADIDT M1 Remote Cord. I decided instead of spend the £23 canon wanted for thiers. I would go for this cheap alternative for my 350D.

It arrived today and given it's looks like it was built on blue peter from cereal box's and double sided sticky tape but it works perfectly. It half push focuses and full push shoots no problem everytime just as Marcel said. So cheers Marcel!

Which leads me to my question. Up until I got the remote I have used mirror lockup to reduce the timer to 2 secs and obviously a steadier shot due no mirror slap at exposure time. Now I have remote I won't be using the mirror lockup but is this the right thing to do? Is mirror lockup really worth it? From what I have read it's not as relevant as it used to be as the later camera's don't suffer as much as they used to due to better mechanism's e.t.c

What do you guys think on this. Do you use mirror lockup? If so what type of tripod related shots justify that extra (if it is still the case) stability?. Or is this feature there because photographers of old expect to see it on the feature list of the camera. The original 300D didn't have the feature enabled in it's default firmware but it was brought back with the 350D. Was this to please the punters?

Ta

Sie

I don't always use mirror lockup. Now that you have a remote release you'll eliminate the first problem, which is waiting for the camera vibrations to die down after you've touched the camera. Make sure there's always plenty of slack in the remote lead and you're not tugging on it in any way.

As to mirror lockup, it shouldn't really be necessary except on long exposures. I'd say try without it, then if you experince probs, then use lockup.

Mirror slap and vibration does become more of a problem with long exposures though as the focal length of the lens increases, the 'whippy' factor of the longer vibrating mass increases, so it's something to be aware of with longer lenses. The same applies to long macro exposures where the slightest vibration can ruin the sharpness of your shots at that extreme magnification. The facility is definitely there for a reason though. :)

A lot of the differences with cameras are just disabled firmware features at a particular price point, to justify the difference. If enough people demand it gets unlocked then they tend to listen. ;)

You're very welcome Sie (y)

If I'm using the remote on a tripod, then I *usually* use mirror lockup. Not out of necessity you understand, more out of failsafe. I'd rather take the extra few seconds to use it, rather than risk getting back and seeing camera shake on my shots.

My reasoning is that if I'm using a tripod, then camera shake is a worry.

However, I dont always use it. If the use of the tripod is only just needed (ie just out of handholding range), then I might not use it. Same goes when it's only a quick shot.

If it's a night time shot, or a light trail or anything like that, then I prefer to use it :)

Good luck with it Sie, and I'm looking forward to seeing some shots :)

This is where a real cheapo tripod will start to show it's shortcomings too, with the vibration being transmitted into the tripod, which will soon be quivering like a periwinkle up a sewer. :D

LOL. Fantastic isn't it? Unfortunately I can't claim the credit. :D

CLICKY

lol Kipling! I would never have thought it.

Back