Beginner mirrorless, £2k to spend...decisions...decisions...

the quicker focusing sounds good :D

Fuji only have one macro lens currently so that makes the decision making somewhat easier :p :D

The 'Classic Chrome' film simulation is cool I think..........even though I still can't get it working in LR5 using RAW files etc......Lol

Think you may need LR6 for that, this is worth a read http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Did you use the PAYPAL12 code on the Fuji site, just wondering if it still works, heard it's now 7% off rather than the original 10% discount (only works for cameras not lenses)

I find the AF very decent on the X-E2 since the latest firmware update, possibly a bit slower than the X-T1, still prefer using the E2 though

Think you may need LR6 for that, this is worth a read http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

Did you use the PAYPAL12 code on the Fuji site, just wondering if it still works, heard it's now 7% off rather than the original 10% discount (only works for cameras not lenses)

I find the AF very decent on the X-E2 since the latest firmware update, possibly a bit slower than the X-T1, still prefer using the E2 though
So can you not upgrade Adobe LightRoom5 to version 6 free Rich ?

So can you not upgrade Adobe LightRoom5 to version 6 free Rich ?

Afraid not Peter, but the upgrade is cheaper than buying it for the first time, I upgraded straight from LR3 to LR6. Lots of people pay for the CC version which is a monthly subscription and includes Photoshop, I got the standalone version which if memory serves was about 50 quid

Last edited:
So does LR-6 offer the classic chrome film simulation if you import a RAW file I wonder ?

Peter, this caught me out with LR5 - the X-T1 has the Classic Chrome option, but not the X-E2.

However, you can download the Lightroom cc trial for free (for 30 days) and then pay the £60.00 to upgrade it to LR6 by simply entering a serial number to your already installed trial. Suspect this will work out a lot cheaper than paying for cc over time.

Edit: Completely missed Rich's posts above! #fail :D

Last edited:
Indeed it does

This chap has some excellent presets for Fuji https://store.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/lightroom-presets
Used to be a small fee for them, but looks like they are freebies now

Just to expand on RIch's post above, there are loads of great presets out there which will work fine with LR 4/5 and will give you some great film simulations. I purchased the Really Nice Images preset pack (v2) and it's excellent. The latest release (v4?) has loads of cool film presets, including a number of Kodakchrome presets. This may be of more use than upgrading to LR6, unless you want the other new features such as de-haze (via a plugin) and quicker imports.

The XF35 F2 seems to be well received, as it's the second lens at this focal length would this be the better option over the F1.4

Also considering the 27 F2

All being well should all be here today :)

The XF35 F2 seems to be well received, as it's the second lens at this focal length would this be the better option over the F1.4

Also considering the 27 F2

All being well should all be here today :)

35/1.4 renders really quite beautifully but is a bit clunky in the autofocus department, certainly can't track with it. 35/2 is lightening quick to focus, also sharp but not quite the same rendering magic. 27/2.8 is also very sharp, fairly fast to focus and tiny! My wife uses the 27/2.8 exclusively to record every day moments...she loves it!

Thanks, I'll check out the 35's on flickr along with how I find the focusing on the other lens's capturing the kids at times might be a little challenging.

Was thinking the same thing, leaving the 27 on the body for a grab and go solution.

Camera and lenses have all arrived, all updated. :) Was to dark to try last night, hopefully get out over the weekend.

Loving the manual controls and programmable function buttons.

I've also gone and bought a Helios M42 44 F2 :D

Camera and lenses have all arrived, all updated. :) Was to dark to try last night, hopefully get out over the weekend.

Loving the manual controls and programmable function buttons.

I've also gone and bought a Helios M42 44 F2 :D

Make sure you select "shoot without lens" in the menu. It saves that sinking feeling when it doesn't work at first with a manual lens.

I've recently bought an x-e2 with the 27mm pancake lens. Awesome setup. However, the 39mm lens thread is uncommon. I've used a step up ring to attach a polarising filter and have found that occasionally it won't focus and will ask me to turn the camera off. I've not had this problem without a filter, so I'm guessing, as it hunts for focus a fair bit, that the extra weight of the step up ring and filter are causing the problem. Has anyone else come across this issue? It's probably something to be wary of if considering this lens as an option.

I'd also like to point out that I'm constantly changing my system and need to settle down. There's no such thing as the perfect camera, but Fuji and m4/3 are both great. I think Fuji may have won me over having owned a Panasonic GX7, an Olympus E-M5 Mark II, an X-T10, X-E2 and X-T1. On a sidenote, I should add that I don't earn a lot of money, so I often sell my gear for additional spending money, and I won the X-T1 in a photography competition before going on holiday. I'd still own a Panasonic GX7 if cameras weren't so easy to sell, as I thought that was superb.

XT10 and 27mm pancake lens is a wonderful combination. It'll fit in a coat pocket and is perfect companion for a day out when photography isn't the sole purpose of the day. I've got mine on a hand strap so it's easy enough to carry round as well. Optically, I don't think it's as good as the other Fuji lenses I own but it's cheap and compact and one of my most used lenses.

Finding the XE2 a bit of a mixed bag as they say. When it focuses and gets the shot, then I love the output from it. The Marco lens is a bit of a joke, it's only any use manually focusing, otherwise it's just constantly hunting. I've got a 35 f/2 which is a nice lens, it focuses pretty much instantly and prouduces great shots.

It's a tactile camera with finger tip controls which I really like and enjoy, that sense of touch it gives to what you shoot. Just nags me the auto focus is lacking.

I'll take a look at the 27mm seems like a good combo for a pocket camera.

Finding the XE2 a bit of a mixed bag as they say. When it focuses and gets the shot, then I love the output from it. The Marco lens is a bit of a joke, it's only any use manually focusing, otherwise it's just constantly hunting. I've got a 35 f/2 which is a nice lens, it focuses pretty much instantly and prouduces great shots.

It's a tactile camera with finger tip controls which I really like and enjoy, that sense of touch it gives to what you shoot. Just nags me the auto focus is lacking.

I'll take a look at the 27mm seems like a good combo for a pocket camera.

Have you updated the firmware on the camera out if interest?

Have you updated the firmware on the camera out if interest?

Camera is on 4.0.1 and lenses are all up to date as well. :)

Even the daughters E-PL1 which I thought had really bad focus times (need to get a new body) can be quicker than the X-E2 at times.

Thanks for the suggestion / thought though.

Camera is on 4.0.1 and lenses are all up to date as well. :)

Even the daughters E-PL1 which I thought had really bad focus times (need to get a new body) can be quicker than the X-E2 at times.

Thanks for the suggestion / thought though.

The 60/2.4 certainly has a bad rep focus wise :( Just been shooting the kids on balance bikes with my x-t1 (same focus system) and the 18-55/2.8-4 and that coped fine though. The 35/2 certainly whizzes along.

Yer the 60mm should be sold as manual only :p :D

Sure outside, good light, wide tracking, the focusing is good/excellent for moving objects (especially once it's got a lock).

The 35/2 is excellent, instant intact and a pleasure to use. It doesn't leave me wondering if I'll get the shot before it's to late. It's pin sharp and a pleasure to use.

I don't find the 60mm to be that bad on my X-E2 (all latest firmware, spot focusing).

May be I'm used to the X100 and came from 5D mark 2. I feel the camera definitely focuses faster than the 5D2, the lens is slower, but has never let me down. Mind, I don't use AF-C or shoot anything any fast moving.

If you get too used to the fast focusing of the 35mm f2 lens, just be prepared to accept that the pancake xf 27mm lens is a bit slower (although not as bad as the 60mm) and you can't use filters on it, or a lens hood (even though there are third party sellers on evil bay) if you are considering it. On the flip side, I bought a secondhand xf 27mm lens to keep me happy until I can afford the newly announced XF 23mm f2 and I took it out over the weekend and it was great for the occasional shoot. I was quite happy with the results I got from it

Thanks for the replies both. Not getting email notifications through, otherwise I would have replied sooner.

I found the 60mm to hunt a great deal. I have latest firmware on all lenses and camera.

Not got the 27mm yet. I have got a gx7 and some lenses though for comparison. The 60mm Olympus macro is amazing and pretty much instant focus, when it does hunt it's not for long (1/2 the time of the fuji 60mm)

Last edited:
Have you got the Panasonic 20mm pancake lens? If I had a GX7 and an X-E2 (I've owned both separately) then I wouldn't bother with the XF 27mm. I would just use the Panasonic 20mm on the GX7. For occasional shooting, they both do an excellent job when you want to keep your gear as small as possible. They're both approximately 40mm equivalent lenses and neither of them are the fastest focusing lenses for their cameras. Image quality from both is impressive. The major downside of the Fuji lens is the inability to use filters. I'm not sure if the Panasonic lens surfers the same ill fate, but I'm sure there'll be someone out there to advise you. I'd guess that you can use filters on it since it has a standard size filter thread of 46 mm. The Fuji XF 27mm lens has a non standard 39mm filter thread. An uncommon size. Filters are available for it and people on evil bay sell lens hoods and step up rings for that size claiming to be suitable for the lens, but believe me those are a con.

Back