Mixed Bathing.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Just another 7D test shot at a range where I've always struggled to get decent shots and retain definition. The 50D made it possible, but the 7D adds quite a bit more definition at the same range with it's extra pixels.

This is the full frame shot at 1600 ISO and spot metered on the centre Sparrow with the 500mm f4L and 1.4X TC. (700mm) No noise reduction.

4037103606_11903b0928_o.jpg

And a pretty massive crop from the same image, which has also had no noise reduction.

4037108370_e05c3ed699_o.jpg

I really couldn't be more pleased with the 7D having used it quite a bit in the time I've had it. Reading some of the comments on the web, there are so many people who just don't 'get' the 7D, bemoaning the fact that it's not yet another full frame camera in the Canon range, but from what I've seen of it's so far, Canon thoroughly deserve to have a real winner on their hands with the 7D. In terms of it's targeted users - wildlife, and action photographers, it's quite possibly the best camera Canon have ever made and I sincerely hope it's slot in the line- up is here to stay.

Very nice indeed! iso 1600 and a large crop from a shot at 700mm(effectively) - that makes me even more determined to save as quickly as possible for my upgrade to the 7D -good stuff (y)

That looks good Cedric, there are too many people on the net who do not get it about lots of things, those extra pixels certainly help (y)

A very shiny image Cedric all things considered, I will be honest I still like to think I am getting to grips with my 50D and could maybe squeeze a bit more quality out of it :shrug: Patience is defo a virtue in this techno world of camera`s we live in :D

A very shiny image Cedric all things considered, I will be honest I still like to think I am getting to grips with my 50D and could maybe squeeze a bit more quality out of it :shrug: Patience is defo a virtue in this techno world of camera`s we live in :D

The 50D is still a great camera, capable of better results than we are for the most part. :D

You're right though, technology moves at a breathtaking pace these days, but there's a lot of worse things than being stuck with a 50D while you ponder your next move. ;)

So when you say "shot at a range where I've always struggled to get decent shots and retain definition" What kind of range are we talking here Cedric?

So when you say "shot at a range where I've always struggled to get decent shots and retain definition" What kind of range are we talking here Cedric?

erm.. I'd say it's a good 50 feet. Sparrers aint very big at that range. :D

erm.. I'd say it's a good 50 feet. Sparrers aint very big at that range. :D

:LOL::LOL: Thats true, but as you mentioned the fact about having problems at that distance I was just trying to get some idea :D So is that roughly the distance you are having probs with when out trying to get shots on the lakes or slightly further? Or are you talking general bird photograhy you have encountered problems at that distance?

Very impressive shots CT your obviously well chuffed with your new kit!

:LOL::LOL: Thats true, but as you mentioned the fact about having problems at that distance I was just trying to get some idea :D So is that roughly the distance you are having probs with when out trying to get shots on the lakes or slightly further? Or are you talking general bird photograhy you have encountered problems at that distance?
Ah gotcha. Well that bird bath is in the garden so I'm very familiar with shooting it. It isn't just the range - it's almost always in shade so it's a bit of a bugger. The 50D made shots there possible, and the 7D extrends the reach a bit more while seeming to be better for noise too.

As for shooting elsewhere, I've found with the 50D, 500mm and 1.4TC, around 60 feet is pretty much the limit for Sparrow, Finch, Kingfisher- sized birds, but by the time you've cropped they're just about acceptable for web use, but not much else - you're certainly not going to get any jaw dropping detail at that range. Obviously, with larger birds, waders and the like, the range extends quite a bit.

Even with cameras like the 50D and 7D using really long glass, it's still true though that there's no substitute for getting closer if you can. Unfortunately, it's not always possible. :shrug:

Very impressive shots CT your obviously well chuffed with your new kit!

You can probably tell! :p

Here's another shot at the same range at 3200 ISO No noise reduction.

Full Frame..

4036868125_3ca20e9080_o.jpg

And a moderate crop from the same image - no noise reduction.

4036868341_2d67bc1c5c_o.jpg

Last edited:
that is impressive for that ISO looks a big improvement on the 50D what have they put in this camera that is different from the 50D to have such good noise control as I wouldn t want to go above 800 on the 50D if I can help it but this looks to be very good might be my next camera if everything goes well with it and no problems pop up

that is impressive for that ISO looks a big improvement on the 50D what have they put in this camera that is different from the 50D to have such good noise control as I wouldn t want to go above 800 on the 50D if I can help it but this looks to be very good might be my next camera if everything goes well with it and no problems pop up

It's a completely new camera from the ground up Kaz - new viewinder, new mirror and shutter assembly,new metering system, new sensor, new 19 point AF system, with many set up options for different situations, and lots of new features not found previously in any Canon camera, like the external flash control and and levelling indicator.

It also has dual Digic 4 processors - a first for a non- 1 Series camera, so I suspect that has a lot to do with the improved noise, coupled with the general improvement in noise control we're seeing from all manufacturers. Even when you do see noise with the 7D, it's far less objectionable, being finer and more like fine grain in film rather than that pitty, awful noise we all detest.

You just need to get one. ;)

excilent noise control by canon on this 7d has deffinatley raised the bar ct.

your imges seems very smooth .

i had looked at the camera at warehouse express but the asking price was out of my range.

many thanks j

It's a completely new camera from the ground up Kaz - new viewinder, new mirror and shutter assembly,new metering system, new sensor, new 19 point AF system, with many set up options for different situations, and lots of new features not found previously in any Canon camera, like the external flash control and and levelling indicator.

It also has dual Digic 4 processors - a first for a non- 1 Series camera, so I suspect that has a lot to do with the improved noise, coupled with the general improvement in noise control we're seeing from all manufacturers. Even when you do see noise with the 7D, it's far less objectionable, being finer and more like fine grain in film rather than that pitty, awful noise we all detest.

You just need to get one. ;)

Sounds really impressive am waiting to see if any probs occur with it then it looks like selling the 40D and putting it towards the 7D and then keep the 50D as a second body am impressed by that noise quality you are right must tell hubby I need one:D

Ah gotcha. Well that bird bath is in the garden so I'm very familiar with shooting it. It isn't just the range - it's almost always in shade so it's a bit of a bugger. The 50D made shots there possible, and the 7D extrends the reach a bit more while seeming to be better for noise too.

As for shooting elsewhere, I've found with the 50D, 500mm and 1.4TC, around 60 feet is pretty much the limit for Sparrow, Finch, Kingfisher- sized birds, but by the time you've cropped they're just about acceptable for web use, but not much else - you're certainly not going to get any jaw dropping detail at that range. Obviously, with larger birds, waders and the like, the range extends quite a bit.

Even with cameras like the 50D and 7D using really long glass, it's still true though that there's no substitute for getting closer if you can. Unfortunately, it's not always possible. :shrug:

~Pretty impresive Cedric, and you have answered a question I was going to ask.
The hide I have been going to to catch a shot of the kingfisher at the nearest is abount 50 yards away, and my longest lens is the Siggy 170-500 and it won't take my sigma 1.4 coverter.
So it is pretty much a case of "you won't get a close up of a kinfisher round here":(

~Pretty impresive Cedric, and you have answered a question I was going to ask.
The hide I have been going to to catch a shot of the kingfisher at the nearest is abount 50 yards away, and my longest lens is the Siggy 170-500 and it won't take my sigma 1.4 coverter.
So it is pretty much a case of "you won't get a close up of a kinfisher round here":(

Sheesh! 50 yards is one Hell of a distance - pretty well 3 times what I'd consider my problem distance.

This is from about 60 feet with the 50D, 500mm and 1.4X TC. It was about 6.45 am, so the light wasn't helping either, and I think it was 800 ISO, but it's a really huge crop, and the image is right on the limit of being acceptable and retaining any detail after cropping- it really doesn't withstand close examination of IQ at all.

4336_10939067574a8c8fffafba0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot though Rick, although at that range I think you're always going to be frustrated, even with the longest glass available. Most wildlife reserves aren't set up with photographers in mind unfortunately, but I'm sure you must have somewhere better than that within reasonable striking distance?

Back