Mobile phone gurus, advice needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hik My pay as you go mobile (O2) Died on me. My son who has a monthly account with Orange got a new phone and offered me his old one to use as Pay as you go. He told me I would need to buy a new Orange pay as you go sim card. No Prpblem I thought it was certainly cheaper than buying a new phone. Got the new sim but I can't get any (Orange o anyone else) networks to how. I can't top up with the 20 quid voucher I bought with the card.

I've followed the manual to the letter , I'm wondering if the phone being a contract account will be locked to that, if so is it easy to get them unlocked ?
Phone is a HTC pocket pc p3450

Hi Frank,

Orange lock the phones to the network however using another Orange SIM card shouldn't be a problem. Could it be that either the phone or SIM card is for 3G and the other is not? You can call Orange and have it unlocked for a fee (was around £30 last time I checked although that was several years ago) allowing you to use your O2 SIM in it.

i have seen them unlocked for 15 quid in some places.

Try doing a google search with the phone model and "unlock" You can find instructions & software for most phones free online with a bit of searching.

I've just unlocked 2 t-mobile PDA's over the weekend, which would've probably cost £20/30 quid if I'd have paid someone.

10 minutes and a bit of googling, and it's done, unlocked and working :D

Hey Frank....Its PPC so U never need to pay for unlocking it :D
U need to make it superCID and simfree:) and u do this by yourself :)
had a quick look and got this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=328221 I would suggest to read few topics on this forum if u have any doubts how to do this :)
for the past few years I had only PPCs :)
and there is even more simple way to do this:) If ** son had this phone in orange as a contract mobile,after upgrade they shoul unlock it for u for free:)

Have you activated the new sim Frank?

Can't seem to get a signal on it Steep, Perhaps I'm being really thick here, should I activate it via the landline. The instructions that came with the sim card say to phone 450 for activation. As there is no signal I can't phone them via the mobile though I'm assured the moblie is working perfectly. I'm also not sure what my new mobile number would be, would I get this at activation time ? theres serial numbers and other numbers on the foil packaging but none look like a mobile number. I bought the sim card from Dixons shop in the departure lounge at Edinburgh airport so taking it back to the shop would be problematic :shrug:
My son is coming up tomorrow so I'll get him to check it in case he has locked a setting or something.

Matty & Bastic I'll check out these options tomorrow if my son can't sort it , if he can get it sort either that I'll just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one, but hey...Hell I'm a Scot and I've got a rep to keep, were known for being tight fisted so I'l try the cheap option first.:D

A update on my Mobile phone problem. Just got off the phone to Orange, they tell me the sim card I bought cannot be registered as it is a old one. As I bought this in the departure lounge it's not like I can go back into the shop and complain. They or their head office will be getting their ears blasted by phone tomorrow...bloody robbing sods. As well I kept the receipt.

Give em hell!

Eventually got a refund via Currys down the road from me but it was a hassle, usual excuse take it back to the shop you purchased it at...yeah and get arrested trying get into the departure lounge without a ticket. Duh!
Crossed to other side of car park and went into Carphone Warehouse to get another sim card...oh yes sir it's free BUT you have to get a £20.00 top up with it. After explaining I had a £20.00 top voucher in my wallet he wasn't interested. He did'nt look to amused when I told him to shove it where the sun don't shine. I did'nt mind paying for the sim but I aint gonna be conned. Drove a bit further to a Orange shop and got sorted there, manager served me and gave me the new card for free after hearing my story. Nice of him I thought.

He knows that Orange will get more money from you in calls than the price of a sim card, good business practice. :)

Back