tigerimages

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
:)

Any good?

smudger2_merthyr.jpg

smudger3_merthyr.jpg

Also, this was the first goal and I was stood at the far end of the pitch covering the goal that we were defending, so I find this quite remarkable!

morford1_merthyr.jpg

Are the first two images taken at exactly the same time?

I think they look great! The 3rd shows the shock of the goalie as the scorer runs away celebrating, brilliant!

Had you left your goal cam on AF? The problem is that the net is sharp in each shot whereas the players aren't. Next time, I'd MF between 10m & 20m which should give you enough depth of field to get the goal scorers sharp.

Yes, 1 & 2 are the same shot and yes I've used AF. I'm loathe to go with MF until I'm a little bit more proficent with it as the AF should always pick out something big in front of it.

Also keep in mind that it's mainly for saturday afternoon footie so I'll set it to TV and won't need to be at the regulation f2.8 on AV that is required for floodlit footie.

love shot 3, shows emotion of winning and loosing in a single shot. close up of the ball is a great focal point too

Yes, 1 & 2 are the same shot and yes I've used AF. I'm loathe to go with MF until I'm a little bit more proficent with it as the AF should always pick out something big in front of it.

Also keep in mind that it's mainly for saturday afternoon footie so I'll set it to TV and won't need to be at the regulation f2.8 on AV that is required for floodlit footie.

But that's the problem, the AF will only ever focus on the net in this situation. MF would give you far more control. Even with extended depth of field of smaller apertures, by focussing on the net you're losing all the depth of field between the net and the camera. By manually focusing in the middle of the penatly area you'll get useful depth of field before and after that point.

It hasn't worked out like that in practice though, I've got a fair few sharper shots of the players when there are bodies in the box.

Like I say, it's all trial and error at the moment so I shall give the MF a go on saturday when hopefully there's some decent-ish light.

Awsome!! :D I love abstract type images like this (well as abstract as you can get at a football match!!) I would second MF if your using a wide angled lens your depth of field would be greater and you wouldn't need such a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. Just a bit of trial and error with this sort of thing.

Number three is great. The ball and the Goalkeeprs expression - tip top.

I have never done any sort of remote stuff like this so I can't offer any advice re the MF -vs- AF debate but it seems to make sense.

I would be interested on knowing what your setup is for the remote operating though.

Cheers,

Bob

I've just seen this on the BBC website:

_44544867_osman2_getty416.jpg

The only difference between this and your shots is fact that the pro has focused on or just after the six yard box.

Yes that looks nice and certainly makes a difference to have the net deliberately out of focus but looking at it, and not to say that my ideas are better than pro's (!!!) to me the net looks like one of those annoying situations where you get a great shot only to have somebody OOF in the foreground ruining it.

At least with the net in focus it doesn't distract as much as that does, although I agree that it's open to debate.

There's still work to do (I think it's a long road!) but here's a few that I got on Saturday that were spoiled by the sun :(

The question to ask yourself is, what is the main subject of your photos. If it's the net, focus on that, if it's the the ball or the players then you should focus on them.

Quick reply!

Obviously the answer is "the players" and I'll give it a go, weather permitting I'll have two games at the weekend to try it so I will give MF a blast. I did try it before the game on saturday but it didn't seem to want to "stick" and I was midful that I might end up with 4GB's worth of ruined pictures so I took the safe option.

My work laptop's died so I've plenty sape time today!

You may indeed end up with 4GB of wasted shots, but also bear in mind that you might just get that one cracker. Just keep in mind that at least you're not shooting film!

Number three is great. The ball and the Goalkeeprs expression - tip top.

I have never done any sort of remote stuff like this so I can't offer any advice re the MF -vs- AF debate but it seems to make sense.

I would be interested on knowing what your setup is for the remote operating though.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob, Canon 20D with a 15mm Sigma fisheye lens on a "table" tripod fired using a pair of pocketwizards and my handheld 40D.

Back