Modern day robbery

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll start with a bit of background. We've been using the same dentist for about the last 4-5 years and whilst my visits have infrequent my wife is fanatical about her teeth. This dentist has moved up in the world and now has a very swanky clinic in our nearby town, last year I had to have a white filling and it cost me £560, needless to say I haven't been back.

Last year Jan went and apparently had some problems with an alleged bone disease in her lower jaw, she was referred to pereodontist (sp?) and had some treatment which appeared to clear it up. Last week she again visited our dentist and he said that the bone disease was progressing rapidly and that she would lose her teeth within 5 years. He recommended immediate remedial work consisting of implants and was ready to start pulling some of her teeth then and there. The price for all this was going to be in excess of £25K. :eek: Obviously she didn't start the treatment last week but when she came home she was obviously very upset not only at the thought of losing her teeth but at the cost.

Being the cynic that I am, I started to smell a rat as this guy is so obviously money orientated and something was not quite right. To cut a long story short we got a second opinion today at the surgery where this guy was originally based. Guess what. She doesn't have to resort to implants as there is no evidence of bone disease, she will not lose her teeth and the only work she needs to have done is to a couple of fillings that this robbing bast*rd got wrong. The dentist today couldn't believe what he was hearing and called in a partner for a third opinion but also to allay Jan's fears.

He is getting more and more people at his surgery who are, or have been, ripped off by this other guy. I'm spitting nails at the moment as Jan has been in turmoil all week because of his diagnosis and I really fancy a row with the guy for what he has done.

To think that a trained 'professional' was prepared to rip out someone's teeth for no good reason is unbelievably wrong, apart from the emotional stress this has caused it would have been a re-mortgage job.

Rant over.

:eek:
Surely he can be reported to the dental association or whoever the governing body are for his profession. Your poor wife must've been in a right state.

Colin ... this needs reporting to the dental watchdog ... whoever that may be ... seriously ...:p

Someone more gullible might easily have got drawn into the treatment ... and consequent costs ...!

Sort him out through the right channels ... and others may start crawling out of the woodwork ... he should not be allowed to get away with treating people like that ...!

Secondary rant over ...:LOL:

:p

The fact this person would be willing to basically mutilate someone for no reason other than financial gain is disturbing, particularly when hes a trusted professional whos advise will also cause emotional distress aswell as financial. I would certainly make the Dental Association or whoever is responsible for overseeing this practice.

This is disgusting, I hope you are taking it further Colin

maybe the BBC's Watchdog would be interested

That is awful! I have to agree with lee, go to the BBC!

I cant believe that this has happenned.

I dont think I would be able to restrain myself enough to just have a word if he had done it to any of my family especially with your wife being put under so much "TORTURE" for the last week.

Totally unbelievable..... disgusting!

Fangman? Can you point the right direction?....

Geezus! I'm sure Fangman (Phil) will add his 2p worth when he sees this, but that really beggars belief!

May see him tonight. Certainly tomorrow.....

As the others have said, that's disgusting that he was so eager to start such serious work there and then.

I would definately lodge a complaint with whoever regulates dentists.
As chuckles says, maybe Fangman might be able to shed some light on this?

If I'm not mistaken we have quite a few adults now with teeth that have had alot of unnecessary work done on them by dodgy NHS dentists in the 80's (I would assume as a way of fiddle expenses. I know my sister was one of them.

I rarely go to the dentist, mostly because of my massive fear of them (even the cleaning hurts my teeth). That, and the cost.
Our family dentist went private about 18 months ago, but said that he would treat the kids on the NHS, if my wife was to stay as a private patient. This was fine by us as my wife really does look after her teeth, so it only costs us the price of a check up every 6 months and the occasional appt with the hygenist for a clean and scrub up.

I know what you mean about the dodgy 80's dentists Marcel.... my sister was told she needed 5 fillings when she was about 14. She's now 30 and doesn't have a single filling thanks to a second opinion from a dentist we still go to now.

He needs to be sorted out, Dental Council is a good start.

Horrible story Colin. I would follow the official channels and also tip the wink to the local rag. They usually love stories like that and the least you can do is provide a decent reference :D

may I suggest.... As well as reporting this so-called dentist. That you and/or your missus sit down and write out all that can be remembered about both consultations. Do it now and in as much detail as can be remembered. Including all names and dates and witnesses. Do it now as you won't remember everything in 3 or 6 or 9 months when someone comes back to you asking for confirmation. Report him and keep copies of everything. And copy your complaint to someone like the Daily Mail ;)

thats awful,something definitely needs doing about that :thumbsdown:

Sounds like a perfect story for watchdog.

i'd say 25k's worth of damage to the dentists gonads and bmw are in order. :(

I f***ing hate dentists, during my school years i suffered the drill much more than I should of, as did many of the kids in my area.
It still amazes me how I can go for a hyginist appointment for a polish and be told how well i'm doing with my teeth.......i think thats it, or was it how lucky i am to still have my own teeth? ;)
Then 5 minutes later, the dentist rubs his brow and says......hmm we need xrays and a filling......3 visits later and he's forgotten about the filling :cautious:

Never mind rogue traders going after drainage contractors, they should have a pop at the robbing so and so's called dentists. The take advantage of you not being able to tell them to F*&K off because their hand is wedged down your throat.

The General Dental Council has just gained powers to act against Private Dentistry and it may well be worth making a complaint. Document all you can and rember under the freedom of access regulations you are entitled to have copies of your dental records from the original dentist.

I am afraid like all occupations - there are some out there. I stayed NHS all the way through and ended up working in the Community and did not hesitate to report and get dentists investigated.

Local Press can investigate - but be careful and programmes like Watchdog and Rogue Trader - but get your info well logged and if possible see if you can find others to suport you.

My advice to folk who have been regular attenders who get this sort of advice is to change dentists!

Good luck and email me if I can be of further assistance.

Back