Modern Hay Bales

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
Can you imagine Constable's paintings if he had to contend with modern day hay bales?

Here's a photo I took a couple of days ago on a cloudy hazy day.

2704927196_e127fd07ac_o.jpg

C&C always welcome.

That's because it's haylage rather than hay. Hay is left to dry whereas haylage is wrapped inorder to retain the moisture and natural sugars.

That's interesting. What is the difference in usage? What is haylage used for as opposed to hay, and I wonder what they used to wrap it in in days gone by. Curious.:thinking:

Not sure about days gone by. Hay and Haylage sre both used as animal feed, especially horses. Some need haylage, some need hay, depends on the horse. Ours has haylage in the winter and occasional hay in the summer.

It used to be done in a silage pit in days of yore. Covered with a tarpaulin and weighted down with half the EC's used tyre mountain.

They should be perfect lit by a lightning at sunset when the clouds are dark but still kind of fluffy.
Not that this would be bad or anything. :)

I think you should have gone for more or for less of the gate, though. Maybe crop it on the left would do now.

It used to be done in a silage pit in days of yore. Covered with a tarpaulin and weighted down with half the EC's used tyre mountain.

remember it well, dont forget the lime, it helped to sweat it down, for want of a more technical term:bang: is the haylege a similar feed?

Haylage is different to silage and its wrapped to stop air getting to it which would break it down. Horses would not be able to digest silage as the fermentation would give them colic which could be fatal - thats also why they should not be given grass clippings.
Because haylage has got a high moisture content (compared to hay which needs to be very dry before its baled) its very good for horses that have an allergy to dust particles that can be found in hay, plus being vacuum wrapped it can be stored outside which saves barn space!

I like the picture, would be nice to see a track where people had gone through the gate, but from the grass it does not look very well used so there probably isn't one there.

Edited to add Linky for a more detailed explanation

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for teaching me all about haylage, silage and hay. The thing I really like about this forum is the amount of knowledge you can gain, not only in respect to taking photos but about what you actually take the photos of. It's a brilliant source of knowledge.:plus1:

Back