'Modern' looking colour film

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
By which I mean I'm after one that doesn't look like a dated 70s movie. Speed not an issue as long as it's 35mm.

Ektar is out, I'm leaning towards Superia, but can't comit!

I take it by "modern" you mean a clean, neutral look? Not that I've shot any yet (still have a round of NC to shoot before I buy any) but from what I've seen, the new Portra emulsions pretty much sum up what you're after. I wouldn't say Superia is particularly "modern" looking, I find it has very warm purple hues in the shadows and a cast in the highlights too.

I've got mixed feelings with regards to this on Superia - I've seen some very 'modern' looking shots taken using Superia, but everything that I've taken using Superia has had that vintagey look. Maybe just buy a roll of every mainstream emulsion out there and try out each one?

The new Kodak Portra 400 - no other question about it if Ektar's out.
Looking at shots taken with it on the internet, it looks superb and has incredible lattitude, you can even underexpose it by about 2 stops without increasing grain hardly at all, when even exposed properly it is very fine grained for a 400 speed film. I've got a couple of shots left on my first roll of it and I can't wait to get the results. I should have them in the next few days so I'll post some of them on here.

This night shot here by AlanSmithee with it sums it up pretty well:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3427486&postcount=4063

Kodak definitely did the right thing by upgrading it.

I've got mixed feelings with regards to this on Superia - I've seen some very 'modern' looking shots taken using Superia, but everything that I've taken using Superia has had that vintagey look. Maybe just buy a roll of every mainstream emulsion out there and try out each one?

Well I like Fuji Reala and superia 200, but someone said on another forum Fuji 400 is superior to Fuji superia 200 :shrug: .....Maybe some one knows here. :wave:

That night shot is absolutely stunning. I'm shooting mostly B&W at the moment but may have to look into getting some of those rolls to try.

The last shot I did with Ektar 100 I thought produced pretty good skin tones and all-around color. I don't see what the hangup with Ektar is.

And all the blue in this shot of Ektar was due to the Magic Blue Hour

Depends on your subject. I've been shooting Ektar for the past 6 months but for a new project I'm shooting Portra 400.
Both are really stunning emulsions and 100% better than the stuff I shot 10 years ago. (Apart from maybe Fuji super G 800, which was something else!!)

Yes, the New Portra 400 is going to be my go-to color film. I did following test shot and it appears that it shoots finer grain at EI200 than 400. So you have an option with film speed. Interesting, Kodak's Data Sheet for the film says a "true ISO 400" film but yet their daylight exposure table has the film rated at about ISO 200 by the Sunny 16 rule.

Yes, the New Portra 400 is going to be my go-to color film. I did following test shot and it appears that it shoots finer grain at EI200 than 400. So you have an option with film speed. Interesting, Kodak's Data Sheet for the film says a "true ISO 400" film but yet their daylight exposure table has the film rated at about ISO 200 by the Sunny 16 rule.

Looks impressive but I'd be frightened to let my supermarket handle this film ;)

Well the main purpose is interior shots, but probably daylight lit (There's a lot of glass!)

Normally I shoot digital for colour since al of the hassle of colour casts is compleetly removed, but in order to get the shots I need on digital I'd need to fork out ver £500 on anew lens, whereas I can spark out £15 on film and velopng to do it on film...provided I get the right film!

What was the lighting for this shot? That looks about right for what I'm after

When processing I would send it to a decent lab though - in a review by Amateur Photographer magazine, the reviewer did comment that scans by a pro lab and by a branch of Snappy Snaps had a noticable difference in the presence of grain (naturally the pro lab was better!)

Strobes. It shoots at EI800 really decent too without pushing. Of course you get yet a more slight increase in grain.

Personally apart from a couple of slide films the only colour film I've got on with is Fuji Pro 160S, produces some lovely vibrant colours:

http://www.justincoquillon.co.uk/Pics/Film/St_Pauls/12.jpg
http://www.justincoquillon.co.uk/Pics/Film/RIAT/01.JPG

Cheers, well it's now between 160C and Porta. Lets see if the price will swing it.

Cheers for your help folks! (y)

Well it's Fuji 160C sat on my desk. Need to finish up the XP2 in the camera now and set to work. Cheers for all your input!

Back