Modern Wedding Shots

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I don't want this to turn into a free for all slanging match, but I'm after some advice.

My Nephew (and God Son) is getting married in France in June. They have a local photographer booked, but he's asked if I can take some shots of him and his bride the day before the wedding, and also a few on the day, to make sure that they have a few, just in case there's an issue with the local tog. They are a young and very trendy couple, so I'd like to get some very modern, rather than traditional shots for them.

I have a 7D, with the following lenses: EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8 & 85mm f1.8. I also have a 430 EXII flash unit, and may be able to get hold of a 580 EXII as well. I was hoping to also have a 5D2 before the wedding, but seeing as I'm not working at the moment I can't see that happening.

I have considered hiring either a 50mm f1.2 or the 70mm f1.2 L to get some very nice looking bokeh in some more modern looking images.

The location is a Chateau in the Loire Valley (link) with impressive surroundings.

Could anyone point me at some decent poses and give some feedback on my kit. I've done a fair bit of studio portraiture, but this is really a completely different ball game.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Your kit seems fine, good selection of lenses with wide aperture, maybe get or borrow another body...

For inspiration have a look at Aleksandras Babicius website for modern poses...
http://www.meninenuotrauka.lt/en/wedding/

oops

(y)

Last edited:
Just a thought - what is new and modern today is "old hat" and "so yesterday" tomorrow; the traditional poses are traditional because they have stood the test of time. I would take modern off the wall or radical shots (getting used to the terminology) but back them up with traditional for the long haul.

There are some stunning images on that site, but I wouldn't necessarily say that they aren't traditional, they've just had a bit of creative flair added.

You're equipment list should be ok, although if you feel that you need something extra, you always have the option to hire a lens or two.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm confident that the kit I have will be fine, I was just wondering what else I may need to add.

As for the poses, well I have a few ideas, mainly with the bride being lit by sunlight in the hotel. My nephew has asked the local tog if I can shadow him, and he's OK about it. Im not sure I really wanted to do that but I may pick up on a few things, and he knows the venue very well.

Steve

When shooting, talk to them to pose them and get the expressions out of them. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want.

If you are going to shadow the official photographer, do NOT shoot while he's shooting. It's generous of him to let you do that, but there's nothing worse than an uncle shooting over my shoulder while I pose the subjects. They don't know where the hell to look.

Best thing for guest shooting at a wedding is to shoot the stuff official guy's not shooting. Intimate candids when you are amongst the guests. No point in you trying to shoot the same thing he is. Often, couples love those extra shots from guests. Gives them different POV, and different flavour to the day's collection.

Most of all, don't get caught up in the shooting, and enjoy your nephew's special day as the uncle. That's what you are first to him. Photographer comes in a close second :)

Most of all, don't get caught up in the shooting, and enjoy your nephew's special day as the uncle. That's what you are first to him. Photographer comes in a close second :)

I'm not so sure, he shoots canon also and borrowed a couple of bits & pieces when he went to Africa. I think I'm actually a free photographic rental store first, and uncle 2nd.. :LOL:

When his elder brother got married I had too much to drink to take photo's. They're all poor from that day, except a decent shot of the couple getting married this year.

And no worries about shooting over the shoulder of the official tog, in fact, I will probably leave them to it for a while, and then get some of my own when they get back.

Steve

Back