Monitor calibration colorimeter advice

I've been playing around all day with this sort of thing.
I found there is a monitor calibration tool in the Control Panel>Display function in Windows 7.
Far from the best, but far from the worst. May be worth looking into.
I am sorry but it will depend on your eyes and brain, which are easy fooled You need a tool for this job

Agreed. But it's better than nothing for those who have no tools, or the cash to buy one.
not sure about that after visiting many camera clubs and seeing how the projector was set up. the most common issue is the brightness.
If you print and you get dark image (the most common fault) it because your monitor is too bright.

not sure about that after visiting many camera clubs and seeing how the projector was set up. the most common issue is the brightness.
If you print and you get dark image (the most common fault) it because your monitor is too bright.
That's another good reason for not going to camera clubs:exit:

Yes I can download and open display cal but it ask me to download the argyllcms color engine - when I click the download link or even try the direct webpage I can't get access to it or it times out...?

Ahh, sorry yes that part seems down.

Hi Mickledore- did you manage to download the argyllcms- I can't get on the page...?
Hi there.
I didn't bother. There is a post somewhere^^^ that indicated it wasn't needed. So I took a flyer and just downloaded the DisplayCal thingy.
It did keep asking me if I wanted to download other bits and I just said yes to all.
On one of the options on the top line was the ability to download the Argyll stuff so I said yes to that as well. No idea if it was needed, or if it downloaded correctly.

Now I'm no techy and my eyes glaze over when faced with techspeek so I may not have done it in the approved manner. But it is there, and when I plugged in my Spyder3 Pro it set off on a 90 minute trawl through all sorts of things.

I'm assuming it is working correctly. I may be wrong. Give it a whirl. You can always uninstall it!!!

Hi there.
I didn't bother. There is a post somewhere^^^ that indicated it wasn't needed. So I took a flyer and just downloaded the DisplayCal thingy.
It did keep asking me if I wanted to download other bits and I just said yes to all.
On one of the options on the top line was the ability to download the Argyll stuff so I said yes to that as well. No idea if it was needed, or if it downloaded correctly.

Now I'm no techy and my eyes glaze over when faced with techspeek so I may not have done it in the approved manner. But it is there, and when I plugged in my Spyder3 Pro it set off on a 90 minute trawl through all sorts of things.

I'm assuming it is working correctly. I may be wrong. Give it a whirl. You can always uninstall it!!!
Yes I got as far as where it asked me if I wanted to download Argyll which I haven't been able to do- as a result the calibration button is greyed out... bit frustrating....! The Argyll site seems dead at the mo!

Calibration button was greyed out for me, but I uninstalled and re downloaded and it worked just fine. Think that was my fault for doing it wrong first time round. Which calibration tool are you using? My Spyder3 is old technology but DisplayCal recognises it.
I never went to Argyll site at all.

Calibration button was greyed out for me, but I uninstalled and re downloaded and it worked just fine. Think that was my fault for doing it wrong first time round. Which calibration tool are you using? My Spyder3 is old technology but DisplayCal recognises it.
I never went to Argyll site at all.
Spyder5pro... the prompt comes up to download Argyll but nothing happens and you can't proceed so I tried to view the Argyll website which is down- maybe I just need to wait till it's back up and running...

It is a very complex bit of software and to be honest I know nothing about it. I pretty much choose the default settings but you have to ensure you choose the correct screen type and correct select your colorimeter.

Once you've set your screen brightness, I leave it to do it's thing.

Hi ecoleman... finally up and running with this... just wondered on iMac if you do anything with the white point calculation before calibration starts...? The bit with the red green and blue sliders that it asks you to adjust your screen to align and the brightness slider underneath....?

Sorry. I've been out all day and missed your earlier post.
Glad you are up and running.
I ran the white point thingy. Left it for over 30 mins then gave up!!! Probably should have been more patient.

Hi ecoleman... finally up and running with this... just wondered on iMac if you do anything with the white point calculation before calibration starts...? The bit with the red green and blue sliders that it asks you to adjust your screen to align and the brightness slider underneath....?

Unfortunately you can't change the RGB on the imac, so just need to adjust the screen brightness.
I don't use the keyboard for this. Open preferences, display and adjust with the slider as it more accurate.

For the screen type you should choose white LCD (or something like that. Can't remember the exact wording)

Last edited:
Sorry. I've been out all day and missed your earlier post.
Glad you are up and running.
I ran the white point thingy. Left it for over 30 mins then gave up!!! Probably should have been more patient.

The white point thingy needs your input.
Start measurement and adjust until everything is in the middle. If you can't adjust RGB, like on the Mac then just adjust the screen brightness.
Once set you can stop the measurement and proceed. From here on its automated.

The white point thingy needs your input.
Start measurement and adjust until everything is in the middle. If you can't adjust RGB, like on the Mac then just adjust the screen brightness.
Once set you can stop the measurement and proceed. From here on its automated.

Hi again... sorry to be a pain here but profiled twice now and when I get to the end. And am asked to install profile I get an error message that the profile could not be installed/ activated..... just wondered if you had come across this...?

Hi again... sorry to be a pain here but profiled twice now and when I get to the end. And am asked to install profile I get an error message that the profile could not be installed/ activated..... just wondered if you had come across this...?

No never. If you open the display preferences and look under the colour tab, can you see the profile? If so just select it.

You may have some sort of permission restriction.

From my experiences in the past, the Mac driver profile hasn't been worth profiling as its so accurate.

Finally got this going ( looks like I had an older argyllcms download but the site has been playing up all weekend) finding the colour match when printing much closer - just need to take the backlit display into account when editing... or maybe reduce the monitor brightness a tad...!

Finally got to calibrate the second of my pair of monitors yesterday (Spider 3 + Displaycal) - very happy with the results, could immediately see both monitors were now displaying images the same (were close, but never quite right using the software that came with the Spider).

many thanks to those that provided info and links for this.

Finally got to calibrate the second of my pair of monitors yesterday (Spider 3 + Displaycal) - very happy with the results, could immediately see both monitors were now displaying images the same (were close, but never quite right using the software that came with the Spider).

many thanks to those that provided info and links for this.
Interesting, I have colormunki Photo and use their software and both screens are a match 100%. Wonder why spyder software is not doing the same.

Interesting, I have colormunki Photo and use their software and both screens are a match 100%. Wonder why spyder software is not doing the same.

I had the same issue with spyder3pro on OS X with dual screens, using the i1 display pro with their own software works fine for both my Dell 2209 wa panels.

I read somewhere that a place got a largish sample of ColorMunki Display and i1 Pro (basically same unit with firmware tweak) units and they all measured pretty darn closely to each other, meaning that there is a good chance of not getting a dud. The sample differences in the Spyder (4 I think?) were no where near as close, but maybe perfectly adequate.

I bought a ColorMunki Display and use it with DisplayCal/ArgyllCMS. You can set the calibration to a faster setting by using a smaller bunch of test patches and less passes, but that obviously affects accuracy. I used a fast setting with medium number of patches and it still took about 30-40minutes on this old Core 2 Duo.

I've just calibrated the Dell u2415 to D5500 @ 60cdm2 in it's "6500K" Colour Tone setting (need the service menu to get access to RGB controls). The "Paper" preset setting uses the "6500K" setting, so that was the only place I could adjust the RGB for it. I set "7500K" to the same RGB levels as the "User" (actual D6500 calibrated whitepoint). I can now switch to the "Paper" preset and get a much less bright D5500 white point and then use DisplayCal profile loader to change the to D5500 profile. This seems to match skin tones for prints much better - but I still have reservations about Canon's included Photo Paper Glossy profiles, which seem far too generic and haven't changes since the IP4x00 series 10 years back!

Back