Monitor calibration, without hardware.

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
Try using the guides in the link to set up your monitor.
I found the gamma setting to be of help, I had mine set to gamma 2.2 but when using the guide it showed my monitors to be closer to gamma 2.0.

epaperpress.com

Very useful for setting your black point correctly

HTH

hmm mine is ok, i have to set the printer up though...lol..

thanks for the link matt, very helpful

Mine it's ok too.
It's from a powerbook, but I think it applies as well.

Intresting way to see if it's calibrated or not? jeje

thanks

Excellent.
Just calibrated using the eapaperpress link and it now looks much better.
I had tried using Adobe Gamma before, and it just told me to ramp up my contrast to 100% then adjust the brightness. This looked stupid and I didn't know what else to do.

The link above explains what to set your monitor to (dependant on CRT or LCD and type of connection VGA / DVI), then helps you adjust it.
But it explains that most TFT's work fine with the contrast at 100%, but if not, jog it back until a certain difference between two spots are noted. This was the crucial bit, as my contrast is now at 61% and looking spot on.

Then came the gamma. The difference boxes that everywhere shows, where you have to get them 'blending in', never worked for me, they always looked different.

I found out tonight you're supposed to view them from 10 feet away. (I managed about 8......2 bed flat ;)) And found the point where they 'merged' quite easily.

Anyway, it seems I'm now calibrated...Now just need to do the same with my printer, and camera, photoshop etc etc.

I had previously used Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor and it seems to be set up just fine according to those tests.

Marcel said:
Then came the gamma. The difference boxes that everywhere shows, where you have to get them 'blending in', never worked for me, they always looked different.

I found out tonight you're supposed to view them from 10 feet away. (I managed about 8......2 bed flat ;)) And found the point where they 'merged' quite easily.

AHA !!!! Had the same problem.......will give that a go now...must remember to RTFM ;)

Don't forget, a cordless mouse certainly does help :D

You don't need to stand 10' away.

What I do is defocus my eyes (go gozzy) from about 5'.

Back