Monitor goes brighter and darker.

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know why my Sony flat screen monitor suddenly takes it upon itself to go slightly darker/duller occasionally.

Its been doing it for about 2 years have never worked out why.

Ive updated the drivers but no change.

I can actuallly see it happen before my very eyes!! :D which means it must also go brighter again at some point too.

Do Do Do Do
welcome to the twilight zone :D

Y'know you boys are SO sexist!

Only Joe was kind enough to believe that I do know what I am talking about..........thanks Joe! :hug:

I shouldnt have asked..........I shouldve known none of you boys would have any more of a clue than me...and Id only make you look as stupid as a woman!!!! :D :LOL: ;)

Did you happen to clean it 2 years ago Janice? :D (Runs and hides!)

Watch it, Murray!! :bat: :boxer: :D :LOL:

flat screens are backlit aren't they, could it possibly be the 'bulb'

I know from personal experience, when I knocked over an apple monitor at work, its now got its own sun visor band, ie dark at the top of the screen and normal (or brighter) at the bottom.

flat screens are backlit aren't they, could it possibly be the 'bulb'

I know from personal experience, when I knocked over an apple monitor at work, its now got its own sun visor band, ie dark at the top of the screen and normal (or brighter) at the bottom.
Knowing my past record I think id better leave it.......... it fades darker all over the screen at once lasting about 2 seconds to complete it.

its not a flicker or anything.it jsut fades in darker and stays like it.
fades up brighter again at another time some hours later and so it goes on.

makes it hard to brighten pictures though! :shrug:

can we all hide together, strength in numbers:help:

That's how it's supposed to work Janice....darker when switched off....lighter when switched on! (Runs and hides with Darkstar)

Good job Im an easy going girl ......... or you boys would be for the high jump! :D :LOL:

TFT display are normally backlit using cold cathode flourescent tubes which require a very high voltage to kick them off . With age the tubes dim ,but to get the dimming/ brightening its either the backlight driver (invertor) or the control electronics.

Glen , if you've got one half of the display dull you've either broken a tube or knocked the connections loose.

What model is it Janice? I have a vague memory that some Sony's had a feature to adjust the brightness to match the ambient room light.. could be that?

What model is it Janice? I have a vague memory that some Sony's had a feature to adjust the brightness to match the ambient room light.. could be that?

it does have a backlight in the menu.........but it does it all on its own when im just sitting here looking at it...i will try to time it........perhaps every 10 mins or so.
its not really dark.........just darkER. Its always done it.... about 2/3 years old now. SDM HX 73 i have updated the drivers.

Yep, that model has "ergoBright" which automatically checks the ambient light in the room and adjusts the display brightness. You need to turn that off to stop the random changes in brightness.

EDIT: Look at page 20 of the manual or go here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/sdmhx73.pdf

Explains how to turn it off...

(y)
Yep, that model has "ergoBright" which automatically checks the ambient light in the room and adjusts the display brightness. You need to turn that off to stop the random changes in brightness.

EDIT: Look at page 20 of the manual or go here: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/sdmhx73.pdf

Explains how to turn it off...

Ah thanks for that.. Ii dont actually have the auto button on... i cant actually see how to turn it OFF. :shrug:

If i press it... a level comes up onscreen i have that set at midway. i cant turn it OFF as such to prevent it happening.

As you press that button it scrolls thru the modes of the automatic setttings for the screen......game, movie, pc etc..then the next one is a custom one which i have got so the colours look right in photoshop.

Right ive chosen pc now.........even though it doesnt look quite right ... i will see if it stops happening.. thank you!!

In the custom (auto) mode you set the brightness level you'd like and then the monitor senses changes in the ambient light and tweaks the backlight to compensate - in theory your perception of the brightness shouldn't change, in reality you notice it because the changes are sudden and stepped rather than constant and gradual.

You need to switch to PC mode and then adjust the backlight setting to get things looking right in photoshop. Then the monitor will stop trying to be clever...

In the custom (auto) mode you set the brightness level you'd like and then the monitor senses changes in the ambient light and tweaks the backlight to compensate - in theory your perception of the brightness shouldn't change, in reality you notice it because the changes are sudden and stepped rather than constant and gradual.

You need to switch to PC mode and then adjust the backlight setting to get things looking right in photoshop. Then the monitor will stop trying to be clever...

yes I now have it on PC mode. althohg all the greys look rather pink. :thinking:

you are right with the auto thing. it had been ok for quite a long time..i think it is this weather with the sun suddenly bursting into the room and suddenly going dark with the clouds.

Back