Monitor help

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a little confused...

Have been looking for a new monitor and searching on here and avforums it seems that certain Dell monitors are well respected and the Samsung monitors I had been looking at get put down for having a TN panel. However, looking on Dell's website the specs show their monitors as using TN panels as well?:thinking:

I used to be quite au fait with what all these things meant but having not kept up to date for the last few years means I'm way out of touch with relative merits of different panel types so could anyone explain to me why the Dell would be a better choice than the Samsung, or indeed what panel type is better than TN and how to find a monitor using those type of panels?:bang:

Sorry the long post - a bit rambling but hopefully someone can make sense of it and help answer my question!

TIA:D

IPS is what you want for photo editing - TN panels suffer from colour and tonal shifts as the viewing angle is altered.

As regards sourcing one, best bet would be to google the model you're after along with the panel type and check related forum responses.

I bought my current Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) several years ago after checking various forums; apparently it's often standard practice to begin monitor production with IPS panels and change to TN later in the run, so you want to know what people are getting before you buy.

I think people have attempted to check with Dell before, who havn't been particularly helpful...

Many thanks for the reply, after a bit of Googling I managed to find a page with a list of IPS monitors and after looking up a few of the models mentioned I think I'll end up buying the 26" Hazro. The price is a little higher than some other makes but the reviews seem to be good.

Many thanks for the reply, after a bit of Googling I managed to find a page with a list of IPS monitors and after looking up a few of the models mentioned I think I'll end up buying the 26" Hazro. The price is a little higher than some other makes but the reviews seem to be good.

I have the 26" hazro. Very nice screen for the money.

If you're looking at monitors it's worth checking out this site LINK

You can search for a monitor by name and it will tell you the type of panel used. Plenty of reviews as well.

Hope it helps

cheers

Bill - thanks for the link, looks like one to be bookmarked!

Bagger - the only criticism of the Hazro I can find is that it is too bright - do you find this to be a problem?

Jason - I'd love an Eizo but not sure I can quite justify that level of expenditure at the moment!

Thanks,
Mark

Bagger - the only criticism of the Hazro I can find is that it is too bright - do you find this to be a problem?

Thanks,
Mark

Out of the box it is quite bright. 270 cdm2 if I remember right.
But if you're buying a screen like this and want to get the most out of it then a calibration device is a must.
I turned the brightness down from (59 default) to 48 to get the black level at the lowest.
Then the contrast down to 26 from (55 default ) which give you a nice 140 cdm2 .
After that ran the calibration to put the colours in check. Delta E Average of .42 ( very good colour accuracy)

Back