Monitors for Photography.

Name
Mark Walker
Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I am considering buying a new or pair of monitors and I’m looking for alternatives to the BenQ SW270c (which has just gone up by £200!). Ideally something cheaper but with just as good colour rendition or good enough such that I would not notice. Given we’re in 2023 it would also be 4K.

To provide some context, I do shoot weddings so will need to have accurate colours for both Internet and Printing, From a photographic standpoint, should I be interested in anything other than the Adobe RGB space?

(Colour calibration would take place with ColorChecker)

It's been a few years since I last purchased a monitor and I've moved away from Mr Mac.

Thanks

When I saw the title I came to recommend the BenQ SW270C which I find to be an exceptional monitor. I can change between AdobeRGB and SRGB at the push of a button (and monochrome too which I like) and the Delta figures I get are very good indeed on my p[articular monitor.

Wex has it for £799 but I can appreciate that is still a wedge of money.

Otherwise, getting close to full AdobeRGB coverage seems a little challenging at a lower price. I recall a Dell and an Asus were considered good value but don't remember which models.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my Dell UltraSharp 27 " 4K USB-C Monitor U2720Q @ around £700 from Amazon. I can see no reason to query the colour rendition as to me it looks spot on, but I am no expert. Presumably you have a graphic card in your computer to handle 4K not only for stills but for video as well if needed? I use A Gforce GTX1050TI graphic card for your information and 32gig RAM. My old Gforce card could not handle 4K video and kept buffering.
Also for 4K video I use "wondershare filmora12" or " Movavi Video Editor Plus 2022" which seem to work ok for most editing needs I do

hope this helps

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am considering buying a new or pair of monitors and I’m looking for alternatives to the BenQ SW270c (which has just gone up by £200!). Ideally something cheaper but with just as good colour rendition or good enough such that I would not notice. Given we’re in 2023 it would also be 4K.

To provide some context, I do shoot weddings so will need to have accurate colours for both Internet and Printing, From a photographic standpoint, should I be interested in anything other than the Adobe RGB space?

(Colour calibration would take place with ColorChecker)

It's been a few years since I last purchased a monitor and I've moved away from Mr Mac.

Thanks
I would have suggested the Benq SW270c as well tbh.

Have had a couple of Dell ultrasharps previously as well but much preferred the BenQ

I'd suggest checking that you really do want 4K res - I prefer to edit stills on 28" 1440P. I did have a 30" 4K screen and didn't get on with it.

I have the Benq SW270c. It's great. A real step up from my old Mac. I use it with a Canon Pro Graf 1000 and Fotospeed papers. I like that I can adjust its height and it rotates too. I suspect it has more bells and whistles than I use but that's fine.

I'm using Dell U2720QM: 4k monitor with HDR support, so it’s suitable for displaying extra crisp images and HDR content.

text / icons will be tiny on a 4K monitor unless you get least a 32" size.

trust me, if you go for 27" you will hate it after a while.

I bought a Viewsonic VP2785-4K back in 2020. I've always rated Viewsonic monitors and always recommended them when I was in the IT business many years ago in SA.
However I did end up sending it back and replaced it with the BenQ SW271C but not because it was a bad monitor.

The monitor was great but I had bought it to go with my then brand new M1 Mini and the viewsonic software for hardware calibration was not compatible. Despite many promises from Viewsonic updates never materialised and 10 months later Amazon agreed to take it back for an exchange.

I have no idea if Viewsonic now support M1 chips or even if you have a Mac but if you run windows then it's a great 4K minitor which supports 100% ADobe RGB with a Delta E<2, USB-C, HDMI, Displayport etc. It still isn't cheap though

Back