Mono with parts in colour.

shrimperblue

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

Im sorry I am very new to PP and I do not know the technical term.

I would love to PP an image in PS so that a persons face is in BW but their eyes are in true colour.

How would I do this? Is it to do with layers, then bleeding the original colour through? Or is it easier than that (or harder lol)?

Thanks.

SB

Hey, I certainly don't claim to be an expert with PS and I'm still a beginner with multi-layer editing. But I've done a B&W image with one spot of colour a couple of times. You can get the effect by selecting the area you want in colour, invert selection and desaturate. This is perhaps a bit unrefined and with layers you can, I'm sure, do a better job, but that's the essence of it :)

Personally I would do it with layers as per the tutorial. However an easy way is to simply convert to B&W.Then use history tool to recover the colour ;)

I thought it was called selective desat, not really a fan of it though as there is so much of it on myspace etc...

Selective colouring because you are selecting a small area to colour in. You can also selectively desaturate a part of an image too - but that's not done as often.

Using a layer mask may sound like it's complicated and might take a little time to work out what and why you are doing it but once mastered you will not only be able to use it for selective colouring but for many other tasks too.

Take the time to read up on layer masks - really is worth it. Go through it slowly at first then it becomes second nature and you'll use them all the time.

loads of selective colour shots in a competition shown at my camera club, in fact the whole night was more graphic art than photography

Back