Monopod and Head

Edit My Images
No
Afternoon folks

Just bought a 200-600 and it's fine generally for hand holding.

But... Looking for a monopod and a decent head.

Thinking the Wimberley monopod gimbal.

Any alternatives? Any suggestions for a monopod? I do want long (unfolded) and short (folded) and light. I know I'll pay the price!

Cheers

I would have a hard time paying for the Wimberley monopod gimbal when pretty much every ballhead ever made offers the same functionality; just flop the ball into the 90˚ notch. Some function this way better than others (Acratech, Arca Swiss P0), but most all can be fine tuned easily by wrapping some layers of PTFE friction tape around the stem.

Which model? Cheers

I use a WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II on my Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 tripod - cannot fault it-

As I don't get on with monopods personally - In fact I gave one away with a head only a day or two back

Les

I use a WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II on my Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 tripod - cannot fault it-

As I don't get on with monopods personally - In fact I gave one away with a head only a day or two back

Les

I think I'd use a tripod if I was somewhere stationary ish. But I'm a walker. Think a monopod probably suits me better from a portability point of view.

I think I'd use a tripod if I was somewhere stationary ish. But I'm a walker. Think a monopod probably suits me better from a portability point of view.

I attached the lens and slung the tripod over my shoulder and I too am a walker :)

Good luck in finding what you need fella

Les :)

I use the Wimberley MH-100 monopod head on my Gitzo GM4562 Monopod carrying a Canon EF 600 f4L II. I use this combination a lot at sporting events; and can cover several miles in a day. I tried the ballhead option for a long time but the Wimberley head is a big improvement. A much smoother and consistent action.

I use the Wimberley MH-100 monopod head on my Gitzo GM4562 Monopod carrying a Canon EF 600 f4L II. I use this combination a lot at sporting events; and can cover several miles in a day. I tried the ballhead option for a long time but the Wimberley head is a big improvement. A much smoother and consistent action.

Agreed John - I just prefer a Tripod to a Monopod but we agree on the Wimberley a superb bit of kit :)

Les

here you @GeordieStew in case you fancy one

Agreed John - I just prefer a Tripod to a Monopod but we agree on the Wimberley a superb bit of kit :)

Les

Cheers Les.

I've just put my kidney on eBay. We'll see how that auction goes ;)

Definitely looks cracking piece of kit. Going through YouTube hell watching reviews and guides.

Cheers Les.

I've just put my kidney on eBay. We'll see how that auction goes ;)

Definitely looks cracking piece of kit. Going through YouTube hell watching reviews and guides.

When paired with a decent tripod ( Manfrotto) its amazing, well that's my opinion Stew

Les :)

Ps good luck with the Kidney sale :LOL:

Les

Yes Les, I agree with you. I also use the Gitzo GT4553S tripod and the Gitzo MK II Gimbal when I don't expect to carry it too far. If weight and portability weren't an issue I would just stick with this option.

I really like using my induro sidekick on my monopod -with a right angled arca clamp on the monopod and ball head on the tripod - makes it easy to transfer from one to the other. works well with my 200-600
monopod.jpg

I've found the Manfroto 494RC2 on a Benbow monopod is a good combination. I use it with a Panasonic 100-400mm and G9. I usually loosen off the ball joint and leave both the camera and lens anti-shake active.

Manfroto 494RC2 on Benbo Monopod GX7 P1140565.jpg

I'd use a decent ball head on a monopod, but I'm often moving so I personally can't get along with them, for me they just get in the way...
.. I just use a double barrel bean bag. Feather light, always something to rest it on, and it doubles as a nice comfy seat. Bean bag, a green or camo scrim scarf and a fence post is an ultra cheap and effective mobile hide

but I'm often moving so I personally can't get along with them, for me they just get in the way... .. I just use a double barrel bean bag.
Bean bags are good too.

I think it depends a great deal on what you're doing. I use a bag or similar for static subjects but for moving objects, especially aircraft, the monopod suits my style better...

Typhoon II fighter at Dawlish Airshow 7936.JPG

Strikemaster and Biplane over Dawlish 7947.JPG

Ironically, for walkabout birding out here on the Norfolk Broads, it's exactly the opposite - quite often the only way of catching birds in and out of the reeds/trees is handholding with an unrestricted vertical/horizontal range. I'd use a monopod for more fixed targets such as waders or open water, I'm always too slow setting up the head for quicker birds.

With the hides shut this last year (roll on Monday!) the bean bag has been golden for draping over the horizontal peep-screens next to the hides themselves.

Last edited:
I got used to using a monopod and dedicated head many years ago when shooting League Academy football for my local League club Brentford, that finished when they shut the Academy after constant poaching by the "Big Clubs" of their youth prospects. During that time I don't think I ever saw a football photographer not using a monopod with their long lenses. I was lucky enough to find a cheap used copy of a Really Right Stuff monopod head.
51180660024_ba5aecb519.jpg

which is a thing of beauty but bought new is horrendously expensive but is utterly dependable.

I depend on using a carbon fibre Benro monopod with this head for all my long lens photography particularly since developing polymyalgia rheumatica which makes long term hand holding very difficult, luckily this is gradually resolving. Of course there are restrictions when I use this setup particularly for birds in flight way above eye level. However I also need a monopod/head for my walk around macro photography because of my condition, my hands wobble! Because I need to change the orientation of the clamp on the RRS head each time I switch from long lens stuff to macro I bought an excellent used Benro monopod and not being able to lash out on another RRS head bought this cheap Manfrotto monstrosity:
51179191137_25caa92484.jpg

words cannot describe how awful it is to use (for me anyway) and now I'm looking for a dependable knock off of the RRS head.

Back