Monsters of the Garden

Edit My Images
No
Again, my customary 1/200th @F11, ISO 100 and Diffused Flash
Sigma 105 +12mm Ext. Tube - All hand held. On this occasions, AF was on as opposed to normal setting of Manual.

img_2757.jpg

I R the Bat Fly.. either that or I just like hangin' about. - Size about 6mm
img_2802.jpg

Yellow Fly Thing, Not sure of the species. - Size about 4mm
img_2807.jpg

img_2812.jpg

The final one is a crop of the second image

img_2802crop.jpg

Great set :clap:
The detail, lighting and settings are spot on.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated :)

Cheers Ziggy, Adam :)

well done
very close and sharp

Great captures, I like 2 and 4. I prefer 2 over the cropped one. Excellent colours and sharpness. Well done

Absolutely stunning Ian, fantastic work :clap::clap:

Thanks again guys. Glad you like 'em :)

Ps. be back on in about 5 days. off up to Cape Wrath, Durness and surrounding areas on a cycling trip.

Camera is indeed packed ;)

Cheers guys. Must admit I'm quite proud of these ones :).

Some really good shots there full of detail and sharp as a tack

A really good set

R33SY

Thanks again all :).

Jewbs, do it.. get one :)

Wow there fantastic, I must use my flash next time, any tips?..

Maybe I practise taking picture of plants first ;-)

GJUK

Gary, lots of diffusion on the flash. Loads of macro photographers will make their own diffusers from coke cans, cardboard boxes and kitchen roll with superb results. I'm a bit lazy in that respect and use a lastolite ezybox speedlite.

For pretty much all my macro shots I'll shoot at 1/200th, F11 and ISO 100. The amount of flash compensation I use will depend on ambient light there is. My diffuser casts a shadow most of the time which reduces the problems of strong sunlight causing harsh lighting on subjects (that is if I don't want to use natural light).

Because the diffuser is quite large, I tend to find often that I'm increasing the output of the flash exposure on my speed light up to +2 (when using ETTL). If memory serves me right, these were taken with the flash exposure compensation on +2. I can probably check that with KUSO or something like it (not installed presently).

Cheers Gary, Neil :)

Cheers. :)

PS, does anyone have an ID on the upside down fly? I think it's just simply a Yellow Dung Fly (Scathophaga stercoraria) but the images I've googled seem to be a lot more furry and have a larger abdomen.

Thanks Rhod, Haider :)

Cheers. :)

PS, does anyone have an ID on the upside down fly? I think it's just simply a Yellow Dung Fly (Scathophaga stercoraria) but the images I've googled seem to be a lot more furry and have a larger abdomen.

It looks like a fruit fly, to my untrained eye. Could be wrong. :)

Lovely, sharp shots. Nice work. (y)

Thanks Scott, Paul.

Scott, I've had a google at fruit flies and think this might be a little too big for a fruit fly. Might be wrong though. It's the tiny abdomen that's confusing.

Wonderful series of shots Ian, can't chose a fav as they are all really top notch ;)

Back