Moody Gawthorpe Hall

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
It's getting worse on here Dave, :shrug: can't get decent crit or even a 'nice shot'/'crap shot' on some images. One of mine got 100+ views, but not one comment!

Anyhow, love the framing on #2, caught the mood nicely.
Can almost here his Lordship saying 'Trouble a'thmill'.

Others are not to shabby either! :D

It's getting worse on here Dave, :shrug: can't get decent crit or even a 'nice shot'/'crap shot' on some images. One of mine got 100+ views, but not one comment!

Anyhow, love the framing on #2, caught the mood nicely.
Can almost here his Lordship saying 'Trouble a'thmill'.

Others are not to shabby either! :D

Thanks very much Barry,I think #1s my fav shot from the landscapes i did there, although I put a lot of thought into all of them, getting in the right spot right height (y)

I know what you mean about comments, its because TPs so big now, and images soon go off the first page never to be seen again, plus just because it gets viewed doesnt mean signed up members re only looking theres lots of guests as well

I'm liking these Dave

I reckon #1 is the better shot though, very good composition and the sky's good too !
they're all good though and i like the branch framing the shot on #3

dont fret Dave
we are all here backing you up
i was trying to remember if i ever did a walk in that area...and spent a lot of time looking over the area on google earth...still cant remember

your no 1 shot beats the others for impact and a dynamic line created by the rh pathway
good tension and well handled exposure
there...you happy now...:D
cheers
geof

dont fret Dave
i was trying to remember if i ever did a walk in that area...and spent a lot of time looking over the area on google earth...still cant remember

your no 1 shot beats the others for impact and a dynamic line created by the rh pathway
cheers
geof

yes i remember the two car parks now...and the town of padiham
i cant remember if we went into the hall or if i even have a shot of what we were doing...
cheers
geof

gotta say 3 is my favourite out of the three....

mainly for the composure of the shot with the brighter top right corner slightly distracting attention away from the building so you have to read the picture more....

liking shot 1 aswell- shame about the weather...

the style of shot 2 i normally like- but the branches are slightly intrusive...

cool shots in general though

dont fret Dave

cheers
geof

:LOL: Thanks Geof, #1 I manage to find a place were I could get the top of the wall on the lower right emanating from the corner for the lead in, and a nice L shaped composition showing the imposing nature of the building over the landscape below (y)

yes i remember the two car parks now...and the town of padiham
i cant remember if we went into the hall or if i even have a shot of what we were doing...
cheers
geof

If you go Geof look on their website http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/gawthorpe-hall/ as the hall is closed at the moment

Last edited:
gotta say 3 is my favourite out of the three....

mainly for the composure of the shot with the brighter top right corner slightly distracting attention away from the building so you have to read the picture more....

liking shot 1 aswell- shame about the weather...

the style of shot 2 i normally like- but the branches are slightly intrusive...

cool shots in general though

Thanks very much Terry, (y) it was a bit of a shame about the weather but a bit of rain doesn't stop us :D yeah shame about #2 just couldnt get low enough from that vantage point, I could have gone the other side of the tress but I wanted the lead ins, so sacrifice the top of the hall as the branches were bare also I wanted the steps in shot that lead down to the lower lawned area

Thanks for your comments much appreciated (y)

:LOL: Thanks Geof, #1 I managed to find a place were I could get the top of the wall on the lower right emanating from the corner for the lead in, and a nice L shaped composition showing the imposing nature of the building over the landscape below :thumbs:

If you go Geof look on their website http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/gawthorpe-hall/ as the hall is closed at the moment

:D real classy hype that...translation
i stopped for a urination against the wall and took the shot to look as if i was a photographer
:nuts:
:D

they appear to have had the evil treatment (HDR)

Composition wise I like them all lots, though maybe a bit of lens distortion correction to bring the verticals back?

I'm must admit Dave, the views to comments ratio can often be a little disheartening, I just put it down to the number of un-registered types viewing :( I like the angles that you've captured with all of these (y) but wonder if these wouldn't suit a nice contrasty B&W treatment :thinking:

Matt

I am quite new but keep meaning to make more effort to comment on photos. Being relatively new to photgraphy I don`t feel my imput is very valid, more of a personal preference, my technical knowledge being some what limted.

With that in mind I would say I am not that keen on any of them. They look ok considering the weather but the light just isn`t good enough to do the good compositions justice and as Matthew above, I wonder if they would look better darker and moodier as black and white.

Good on you for shooting despite the conditions and fantastic location :)

I am probably one those people. I look at many shots, yet few interest me. If they don't make me think "yeah that's cool" or "that's rubbish" I just move on.
VERY LITTLE of what I post gets commented on, yet I don't get bothered by it or feel the need to plea for comments. In my opinion, people will comment or they won't. I can't make them. If they don't, fine.
Now I have posted in this thread it would be rude not to comment on the images:
They are pictures of a stately home. Hard to be creative with the subject matter or make them visually appealing. I don't like the processing, it's just not my type of thing.

I'm must admit Dave, the views to comments ratio can often be a little disheartening, I just put it down to the number of un-registered types viewing :( I like the angles that you've captured with all of these (y) but wonder if these wouldn't suit a nice contrasty B&W treatment :thinking:

Matt

Thanks Matt thats pretty much what I said to Barry, when he mention the comment counts

I am quite new but keep meaning to make more effort to comment on photos. Being relatively new to photgraphy I don`t feel my imput is very valid, more of a personal preference, my technical knowledge being some what limted.

With that in mind I would say I am not that keen on any of them. They look ok considering the weather but the light just isn`t good enough to do the good compositions justice and as Matthew above, I wonder if they would look better darker and moodier as black and white.

Good on you for shooting despite the conditions and fantastic location :)

Thanks Ill give B+W s go one day when I cant get out

I am probably one those people. I look at many shots, yet few interest me. If they don't make me think "yeah that's cool" or "that's rubbish" I just move on.
VERY LITTLE of what I post gets commented on, yet I don't get bothered by it or feel the need to plea for comments. In my opinion, people will comment or they won't. I can't make them. If they don't, fine.
Now I have posted in this thread it would be rude not to comment on the images:
They are pictures of a stately home. Hard to be creative with the subject matter or make them visually appealing. I don't like the processing, it's just not my type of thing.

Urm I didnt plea for comments I just asked if anyone had any thoughts about them as theyd been posted a day and soon go off the front few pages, thanks your your thoughts on my images :)

VERY LITTLE of what I post gets commented on, yet I don't get bothered by it or feel the need to plea for comments. .

I just had a look at posts you started you seem to get lots of comments, it doesnt really bother me how many or how little I get either, weve got flickr for that :LOL: just some sort of honest feed back is good though (y)

Hi Dave
Of the three my pick would be No.1. I like the positioning of the house and the trees against the moody sky. Colours are nice too. By way of critique the path can lead you straight through the image and past the house. The bright patch leads my eye up the steps to the house though:)

Back