More aerial long exposures

Lovely set Jon number 2 for me like the movement of the clouds

Excellent (y)

Tell us more? How's it done?

Thanks for the comments!

Excellent (y)

Tell us more? How's it done?

Firstly, I need calm air, less than a quarter moon, and not too much crosswind (due to drift causing the nose of the aircraft to point slightly into the wind). Too many lights on the ground tend to cause blurred streaks of light. Ideal conditions for long exposures showing stars are a dark night with cloud cover, and city lights in the distance below the clouds. The image of Muscat is typical of this. For images with clouds, a low quarter moon is ideal.

Secondly, I need the Ricoh GR. I just love this camera. With it's APS-C sensor, it's almost the perfect camera for these images (the only thing I would change is higher ISO capability, ideally like the A7s). I have shot some images with the A7s, but the small size of the GR is, apart from the infinity focus, it's best feature for these shots.
The camera is mounted on a Gorillapod which is placed on the glare-shield. I have a user preset of infinity focus (one of the GR's excellent features), ISO 3200, f2.8, 10 seconds, on a 2 second timer. I can vary exposure using the control dial. I use dark frame subtraction in camera to reduce noise. The 28mm (equivalent) lens is great focal length for these images.

Shooting through glass has some limitations, though distortion is not an issue at 28mm. The glass needs to be clean (I have been known to clean the windows myself before a flight). Reflections can be a problem, so I turn the lights down and use the hood made for the GR.

Processing is done using DXO Optics Pro 10, Lightroom and Photoshop. By darkening blacks and brightening the stars, I can reduce noise further. On some images that I really like, but there's a bit of movement, I use Focus Magic to remove movement on the stars.

Nice to see different angles!

Back