More Butterflies

S

Steve

Here are a few butterfly pictures taken the week before last. I hope you like them :)

Butterfly-27.jpg

Butterfly-29.jpg

Butterfly-31.jpg

Butterfly-33.jpg

Butterfly-51.jpg

Butterfly-52.jpg

Butterfly-53.jpg

Butterfly-54.jpg

There are some more new ones on my website if you are not yet suffering from butterfly overload ;)

Super shots, Steve :clap: . Now I know this isn't the critique forum and who am I to question the boss but............................I don't care for the foreground leaves in the second shot :getmecoat

I'd be interested to know where you took them, being as it's probably -5 where you live?

regards

excellent shots again, how close could you get to them?

stepheno said:
Super shots, Steve :clap: . Now I know this isn't the critique forum and who am I to question the boss but............................I don't care for the foreground leaves in the second shot :getmecoat

I'd be interested to know where you took them, being as it's probably -5 where you live?

regards

Fair comment stepheno, i just like the angle of the butterfly in that shot.

They were all taken in the Bottanical Gardens in Munich. They have an exhibition open from December through until the end of March every year, they import them all as pupas and allow them to grow in a massive greenhouse, they go through their usual life cycles and the green house is completely open to the public for the duration.

Matty said:
excellent shots again, how close could you get to them?

Some of the children that visit on the weekends actually pick them up or they sometimes land on your clothes or equipment. There is also many areas in the large greenhouse that you can't get to, so if they feel bothered I presume they bugger of to those spaces ;) Some of the rarer ones tend to stay exclusively in those areas making photographing them very tricky.

Excellent photos - but surely some of the moths are going to complain of what they are called!

All are excellent but I think 4, 10 and 12 are outstanding. Great stuff! as your other butterflies pics also.

great pics Steve, what lens do you use for them

I used a Canon 70-200 L with a 13mm extension tube to reduce the minimum focal distance.

nice set of pictures steve, hmm i live only 4 miles from a butterfly farm, must take a trip there.
ps, did you use a tripod, i have a monopod would that be any good.
TFS

No tripod or monopod was used as the space availible is very resticted and the butterflies are also very active. If you have room at the butterfly farm near you I would advice a monopod. Some of my shots have been taken on ISO 800 to keep shutterspeeds up and obviously they would have been better at lower ISO's to keep the noise to a minimum. A flash or tripod would have helped but no flash is allowed and the lack of space put a stop to me using the tripod.

Great series :)

similar thoughts to Stepheno on number 2 and No3 is a bit distracting as well with the stalks in front. Picky, picky picky.

good sharp well composed shots steve, i like them a lot and hope to have a go at something similar myself this spring/summer.

Now there's something to aim for.:thumb: Pffft like as if eh, not with my ole kit lens,lol.

Anyway those are absolutely fantastic shots there Steve! I can't pick a favourite, thier all so darn good. :) Oh alright maybe 1-12 ;)

Jewel

Beautiful shots Steve. You really feel like you're in their world when you look at them. A trip to the local butterfly farm is in order me thinks ;)

dod said:
Great series :)

similar thoughts to Stepheno on number 2 and No3 is a bit distracting as well with the stalks in front. Picky, picky picky.

I like the detail visible of the body of the butterfly/moth in picture 2 and the way the butterfly seems to be peeping through the blades of grass in a cheeky way in shot 3, thats why I included them here. On saying that though you are absolutely correct with your comments and technically they are the weakest :)

Thanks to everyone who has commented :)

Back