Critique More collembola

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not been posting new pics all that frequently recently. That doesn't mean I haven't been out and about shooting stuff, it just it takes me so long to process and I've built up quite a backlog. This is only going to get worse as we get closer to Spring so I've no idea how I am going to keep on top of it all :eek:

Anyway, I have found a few different subjects, but I'm trying to get through all my Springtail finds first (and they are still my favourites) so apologies if you are getting fed up of these :)

I was pleased I managed to find a few more of this tiny species, Sminthurinus niger. There were about four of them on a fallen twig I turned over, and if I hadn't seen them before I likely wouldn't have spotted them. There was one individual that was willing to stay still long enough for a couple of stacks. Unfortunately I'd left my extension tubes in another bag at home (ARRGH!!) so couldn't get any closer:

Sminthurinus niger by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

This one was a bit more active, so just a single shot:

The previous weekend I went down to Sheffield again to look for some exotics. I still have more to get through, and it now seems like this particular species may not be an import, but rather a late-discovered British native. I guess this is yet to be determined though..

Katiannidae sp. nov. 1 sp. by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Another new one for my collection:

Katianna nr schotti by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Katianna nr schotti by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

And just because they are so cute, a couple of babies :)

Katiannidae 3 (Genus nov. 2 sp. nov) - Juvenile by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Sminthurinus niger - Juvenile by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I'm certainly not bored at seeing your work Timmy, in my case more envious so bring it on.

As usual an "Excellent" set of images with some good composition and great detail.

Really like the Juvenile shots and just out of interest what size are they in real terms ? (y)

George.

As per George completely bored..... lol only joking.

Love the Niger and Kat #3 needs a bit of CA removing (green).

Who doesn't love a cute baby.... :D

Very cooool shots Timmy and like George asks, what size are they?
I also like the Tiger one (Katianna nr schotti) veryyyyyy cute :D

I'm certainly not bored at seeing your work Timmy, in my case more envious so bring it on.

As usual an "Excellent" set of images with some good composition and great detail.

Really like the Juvenile shots and just out of interest what size are they in real terms ? (y)

George.
Thanks George, the juveniles were shot at 7X magnification and not cropped (well a bit off the top and bottom of the last one). The frame width represents a little over 3mm, so I reckon around 0.4mm maybe?

As per George completely bored..... lol only joking.

Love the Niger and Kat #3 needs a bit of CA removing (green).

Who doesn't love a cute baby.... :D
Thanks Bryn. Yes I've noticed more CA creeping into my shots recently, and I think it's because I am using my 1.4X TC. Not really done any specific testing, but I haven't got my head around the best way to get rid of it either and tend to just tweak the sliders until I think I've got a better result. Any something i need to spend some time studying I think.

Very nice mate
Thanks Matt!

Very cooool shots Timmy and like George asks, what size are they?
I also like the Tiger one (Katianna nr schotti) veryyyyyy cute :D
Cheers Graham, see above. The first one was also shot at 7X and uncropped. The Katianna species are somewhat larger, almost but not quite as large as the Dicyrtomina species you've probably encountered, I suspect they are around 1-2mm. I really wish the MP-E could record the magnification setting in the EXIF!!

I like the "tiger one" name. I think we need a list of common names for Collembola. I can't remember or even pronounce most of the scientific names!

Cheers Graham, see above. The first one was also shot at 7X and uncropped. The Katianna species are somewhat larger, almost but not quite as large as the Dicyrtomina species you've probably encountered, I suspect they are around 1-2mm. I really wish the MP-E could record the magnification setting in the EXIF!!

I like the "tiger one" name. I think we need a list of common names for Collembola. I can't remember or even pronounce most of the scientific names!

Thanks Tim, tbh I have only seen 2 types and one is on my Flickr, dont know why I didnt put the other on there, ill have to have a sort out. Im at the inlaws this weekend so if the rains passes (its supposed to pi$$ down saturday) ill have a looky for some more. (time to test my Tokina)

All top quality Tim, the light on the first shot is spot on. I imagine people who don't photograph springtails, are oblivious to how challenging shooting the Sminthurinus Niger is. I certainly appreciate your photography skills here.

All top quality Tim, the light on the first shot is spot on. I imagine people who don't photograph springtails, are oblivious to how challenging shooting the Sminthurinus Niger is. I certainly appreciate your photography skills here.
Thanks Tom, very kind of you to say. I did get a bit lucky here in finding one that was in a good position, and happy to stay still for a while. Mind you, I think you make your own luck and the more often you go out the more likely you are to have these fortunate encounters.
Wonderful shots, Tim.
Many thanks Kurt, glad you like them!

Back