More green hills

its a nice image, but its not sharp, a good tutorial on hyperfocal focusing might be in order...*wanders off to find one*

whats the definition of 'hyperfocal'?, I just point and click and hope for the best :)

Karamac said:
whats the definition of 'hyperfocal'?, I just point and click and hope for the best :)

Well as you probably know Karen, when you focus at a given distance, depth of field extends away from that point and also towards the camera. Depth of field increases in both directions, the smaller the aperture you use.

'Hyperfocal distance' is the distance at which you focus a lens to achieve the max depth of field at any given aperture, with the depth of field rendering infinity as sharp.

So generally speaking with landscapes where you want the distant horizon sharp and foreground objects to be sharp also, you need to be focusing in the mid distance and using a smallish aperture.... typically f8 or smaller. Exactly where that hyperfocal distance is depends on the focal length of the lens and the aperture you're using.

I'm not really keen on this shot Karen. There's a broad expanse of featureless foreground, then that clump of trees in the centre which isn't particularly interesting either. In fact all the interest seems to be in those rolling fields beyond, and you feel you want to see more of them.

Sorry! *kiss*

Back