More Jessops shop closures..........

Lets hope that any of the staff who know what they are talking about get given jobs at other stores.

Lets hope that any of the staff who know what they are talking about get given jobs at other stores.

I m sure they will, as there isnt that many to relocate then ;) :D

The majority of them are from Scotland 12 out of 17!

3 are from Glasgow, which I think still leaves 2 or maybe even 3 - no wonder they weren't "financially viable" the only competition is within the same company.

They might as well close the one in Swansea to be honest, no stock worth mentioning in there and the shelves are deserted.

I just go to Cardiff now for Jessops, a much better store.

This might explain the distinctly empty-looking main branch in Glasgow. The other two city centre branches are on much busier thoroughfares...

This might explain the distinctly empty-looking main branch in Glasgow. The other two city centre branches are on much busier thoroughfares...

The main branch looks pretty dead when I'm in. So I wonder if the small one next to Buchanan Street is staying open. The rent on those two stores must be huge.

The main branch looks pretty dead when I'm in. So I wonder if the small one next to Buchanan Street is staying open. The rent on those two stores must be huge.

From a personal point of view, I'd prefer the Sauchiehall St branch to stay open (complete with the pro dept) but from a commercial point of view the Buchanan Galleries and Union St stores are better placed.

As a retail location Sauchiehall St has declined markedly over the last 30-40 years, it used to be home to some very upmarket stores, now it's main stock-in-trade is catering for students.

Last edited:
I'm glad they are not closing mine. All the staff are knowledgeable and friendly, and I worked well with them in getting what I thought was a damn good deal on my kit.

And the Aberystwyth one .... nearest camera shop of any description - what, Carmarthen, 50 miles away .... maybe Shrewsbuy or Swansea 75 miles away.....

And I do use it, sometimes....

Jerry, only one of the shops are closing in Aberystwyth, one is staying, not sure which is closing, think the one for closure is the old Fuji shop.

Jerry, only one of the shops are closing in Aberystwyth, one is staying, not sure which is closing, think the one for closure is the old Fuji shop.

Yes, I've just discovered that...

They always meant to combine the two I gather.

Apparently they're going to be putting new state-of-the-art processing equipment in the new combined shop. But where I can't imagine. The lease they've got there prevents them from moving somewhere bigger.....

Anyone know which Glasgow stores are going, it lists Union Street, Byres Rd but it looks like another to go but which one.

The doomed stores are located in: Glasgow, East Kilbride, Ayr, Glasgow (Union Street), Barrow, Wigan, Denton, Newport, Aberystwyth, Arbroath, Stonehaven, Aberdeen, Elgin, Glasgow (Byres), Dunfermline, Helensburgh and Kirkcaldy.

There is 2 on sauchiehall st.
Its either the big one half way up or the small one at the gallerys.
Im thinking maybe the smaller one as it has a lot less stock?
But the big one is further out the way?

There is 2 on sauchiehall st.
Its either the big one half way up or the small one at the gallerys.
Im thinking maybe the smaller one as it has a lot less stock?
But the big one is further out the way?

If one of the two had to close it would seem sensible to close the bigger store, the smaller one is in a far better location, but it may be that the bigger shop is actually cheaper rent/rates wise, which must be a factor in the current climate.

Yep,thats what I thought.
I cant imagine it will be cheap next to the buchanan galleries/ right in the centre of town

Back