More milk droplets...

Edit My Images
Yes
I've not used milk before in any I've done. These are some shots I took last night, while restoring my computer to factory settings :bang: Darn technology.

MilkSplash1Editted.jpg

MilkDrop1Editted.jpg

MilkDrop2.jpg

Two points I'd like some help with please:

1. Changing the aperture (while ISO/exposure was the same) seemed to make very little/if any difference to the depth of focus. I am still struggling to get a deeper depth of focus...

2. What backgrounds do you people use? You can see my blue plastic background is very shoddy... I need something nicer, and water proof!

Very good work. Not had any success with these... DOF is linked to working distance as well as Aperture... I guess you're in real close ?

Good shots with good colour and you've timed them nicely. excellent!

Nice drops (y) I just use coloured paper or perspex as BG's but have loads to learn on set-ups and lighting:shake:

Hmm, I think i need some perspex! Something waterproof :thinking:

Thanks though :D

Why do you need waterproof ? Can't you just put it further away from the water :thinking:

Maaaybe... but then you see the edge of the bowl or whatever I am doing it in. It also splashes a lot :LOL:

Ash ... Yes you will get the splashes on the backdrop if it's too close :) but you don't need to have the backdrop in the water to avoid seeing the bowl ... Just tilt it back slightly :)

Ash ... Yes you will get the splashes on the backdrop if it's too close :) but you don't need to have the backdrop in the water to avoid seeing the bowl ... Just tilt it back slightly :)

lol, I'll give it a go. If I ruin all my nice coloured work folders I'm blaming you :razz: :LOL:

lol, I'll give it a go. If I ruin all my nice coloured work folders I'm blaming you :razz: :LOL:

:LOL: A serious tip here :D put the bowl in a tray or something then put a pencil or whatever under the tray to tillt the whole thing back ... just slightly, then fill the bowl to just overflow and the surface tension of the water will form a lip over the bowl .... This will hide the hard edge of the bowl :cool: Try it it works :eek:

:LOL: A serious tip here :D put the bowl in a tray or something then put a pencil or whatever under the tray to tillt the whole thing back ... just slightly, then fill the bowl to just overflow and the surface tension of the water will form a lip over the bowl .... This will hide the hard edge of the bowl :cool: Try it it works :eek:

Oh I seee! I get you, that's cool, I'll try it (y)

Very nice droplets, I like the yellow.
I do the same as Splog, tilt the bol back slightly and fill til its about to spill over. ;)
I also use a large baking tray or frying pan underneath to catch the flying water.
I place my backdrop much further back so it generally doesnt get splashed and avoid anything shiny so it cant produce glare from the flash.

When you are working close with macro then your depth of field does get reduced the closer you get. If you move the camera back a little you might find you can get a better DOF. But it can get difficult balancing light when knocking it to F16, I only have one flash so have difficulty getting mine looking light enough at times, if you use extra lighting in the room then you will end up catching more movement, ruining your shots. I believe two flashes or more are better.

Last edited:
Very nice droplets, I like the yellow.
I do the same as Splog, tilt the bol back slightly and fill til its about to spill over. ;)
I also use a large baking tray or frying pan underneath to catch the flying water.
I place my backdrop much further back so it generally doesnt get splashed and avoid anything shiny so it cant produce glare from the flash.

When you are working close with macro then your depth of field does get reduced the closer you get. If you move the camera back a little you might find you can get a better DOF. But it can get difficult balancing light when knocking it to F16, I only have one flash so have difficulty getting mine looking light enough at times, if you use extra lighting in the room then you will end up catching more movement, ruining your shots. I believe two flashes or more are better.

Awesome, some interesting points there, thanks! I am using my one flash (just the one the Canon comes with), and a desk lamp to increase lighting.

So, plans for next time I am bored are: don't use the desk lamp straight on it, get a nice background, and use the "tilted bowl" method :cool:

As a BG I use art card, placed slightly behind so as not to get to wet.
DOF is a very limiting factor in getting an image sharp from front to rear, more so in macro photography because of the closeness of the subject.
If you crack it let me know :)

Haha, will do ;) I'm sure I'll have another go with these when I have a moment.

Back