More New Camera advice desperately needed!!

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all :wave:
basically, i just accidentally broke my digital camera (oops :confused:) but it was pretty old and i'm secretly pleased as iv wanted a new, better one for ages. it was a basic canon powershot a410, not bad for the price but i was getting a bit bored with it. i'm looking to improve my photography skills further with a better camera and was looking for any advice on what would be a good buy...tragic thing is, being a student i definitely cant afford an SLR type so was thinking poss a fuji "bridge" camera or another canon - the IXUS 75 has been recommended? i have MAX 200 spend...
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ta :)

Pretty please! :D

Hey all :wave:
basically, i just accidentally broke my digital camera (oops :confused:) but it was pretty old and i'm secretly pleased as iv wanted a new, better one for ages. it was a basic canon powershot a410, not bad for the price but i was getting a bit bored with it. i'm looking to improve my photography skills further with a better camera and was looking for any advice on what would be a good buy...tragic thing is, being a student i definitely cant afford an SLR type so was thinking poss a fuji "bridge" camera or another canon - the IXUS 75 has been recommended? i have MAX 200 spend...
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Fuji S9600 is a lot of kit for the money at the moment,9.1 mp,X10 optical zoom ,i used to have 1 thought it was a fantastic (y)

Ah cool, iv been hearing some good things about fuji cameras lately. do u know anything about the Fuji S6500 or s5700? Obviously they are a bit cheaper and i wondered how they compared...

You don't need to post 2 topics about the same thing ;)

And yeh the Fujis are supposed to be good for what they are. Cheap too...

Hehe thanks 8utters!! i know im being a bit silly and panicking that no one will answer anything! lol i like your pics btw, esp the clubbing ones! amazing lighting in loads of them :D

Would you not be better saving for a bit longer and getting an SLR? £200 seems a lot of money to spend on a bridge camera if, 6 months down the line you find you'd have been better off waiting for an SLR??

You can get a refurbished nikon D50 with 18-55 lens for £299. Not sure what Canon cameras are any good, so I can't really say anything about the price of them.

Just a thought :)

The Fuji bridge camera's are good if you don't want to go down the dslr route and buying lens'.
I have the Fuji S9500 and it's not a bad camera especially for learning all the manual settings.
I'm still pretty new to photography but I can get some good results when I try.:LOL:
I have some pics in my gallery if you want to have a look.

I don't now what other TP'eeps (I'm trademarking this by the way!) think of this camera but I started with a Canon S3 IS which is considered a bridge model. I loved it, particularly its stunning capacity for close focus macro. There is an S5 model available now that may not be within your budget, you could easily get an S3 secondhand or new for a reasonable price.

Best of luck!

Wow thanks for all the advice guys!

in response to mattyh's question - ideally i would love to get a digital SLR but as i'm a student and i know how much trouble i have paying my rent at the mo (lol) i dont think id want to get myself into spending more money and wanting to buy new lenses etc until im more financially stable, which wouldnt be for at least a year or so unfortunately...hopefully then i would be able to afford one! im hoping that i can just find something better than what iv had and develop my skills until i can afford a better camera.

Susane - gorgeous pics in your gallery! if i could get quality like that with a cheaper fuji id be happy :)

AlexS - ill have an investigate into prices for a Canon S3/S5, thanks for the tip off!

:LOL:

you can get the s5 is for £190 + delivery on ebay

(from digitalRev)

might be worth a look

Yeah i think its a toss-up between the Fuji S9600 and probably the Canon S3 which iv managed to find for around 200 quid each which is ok :D thanks for the help :)

Back