More Rugby

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
A few more from my local team at the weekend. Weymouth vs Swanage & Wareham II's. Didn't get so many ones I wanted to keep despite this being the best light I have had chance to shoot Rugby in so far. C&C always appreciated.

Desperate defence:
IMG_0771.jpg

Up close and personal!
IMG_0750.jpg

Knock on in the tackle:
IMG_0761.jpg

Front row union:
IMG_0785.jpg

I dont like the car and what seems to be a passing lady in the first. and the fourth* doesn't do anything.. just looks like a group hug..

However I like the "in there" feel of the second and the winner is shot three... certainly the pick of the bunch.. got the action and plenty of faces and a good clear shot of the ball.. deffo winner #3 for me :)

Nice shots. I'll be shooting some ladies rugby on Sunday, what lens were you using if you don't mind me asking? More importantly, what focal length they at? Thanks.

Thanks for replying so quickly...

I dont like the car and what seems to be a passing lady in the first

You know I didn't even notice! Thanks for pointing it out... Haven't been using Photoshop (Elements) long so this is a good one to practice on to see if I can do anything about the background.

and the third doesn't do anything.. just looks like a group hug..

I assume you mean the 4th?

However I like the "in there" feel of the second and the winner is shot three... certainly the pick of the bunch.. got the action and plenty of faces and a good clear shot of the ball.. deffo winner #3 for me :)

Thanks so much for your comments. It really helps. As an ex-player I think I focus on the details that aren't so obvious to a more impartial spectator (that's why I like #3 but I see it doesn't mean so much to casual observers), or things that I think are obvious just aren't. Much appreciated!

Nice shots. I'll be shooting some ladies rugby on Sunday, what lens were you using if you don't mind me asking? More importantly, what focal length they at? Thanks.

Thanks - I used my Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro lens for these. It's not an expensive lens.

EXIF info as follows:

1. 1/800, f/5.6, ISO200, 300mm
2. 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO200, 300mm
3. 1/800, f/5.6, ISO200, 300mm
4. 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO200, 300mm

Thanks for the info. That is a serious value for money lens if you're taking those pics with it! Look forward to seeing more in the future.

I assume you mean the 4th?

oops :)

theres a bit of a rule about sports photography... rugby, football ect.... the pic should have a ball in it.. there are a few acceptions but generally it should have a ball. otherwise its a guy jumping about a field or two guy dancing.. could be anything and any interpretation without a ball :)

on the rare occasions i do rugby its always a bright sunny dry day.. i do feel rugby pics are better in wet and mud :)

Well you've done well with you exposures as shooting in harsh sun is always tricky to do. The first could be doing with being cropped down alot more and clone out the door knob on the right...its distracting!

The second, well could really do with more of the ball carrier in shot then it would work.

Third would have been the best but its just not sharp enough and as for the last, it looks like you missed the moment. If your going for this type of shot wait for the moment prior to contact when they are looking forwards, just before the ref says engage.

Keep at it and your are correct, knowing your sport and those little things that go on that most folk don't know about...if you can capture them then it will set your work apart.

i do feel rugby pics are better in wet and mud

As someone who does week in week out......give me the sun!!! ha ha....am fed up getting soaked......but I do know what you mean.

Iain

Hi firstly, lovely shots(y), I really like the action you’ve captured. well exposed considering the light must have been difficult

My comments

Pic 1 – I agree with the comments above about the background being distracting, however in terms of the picture telling me a story I like this the best. As a rugby player myself I want to know if the attacker is going to score the try or the three blokes trying to stop him will? Captures a great moment, the expressions and the post in the foreground are good. I don’t think you could have stood anywhere else to get this shot.

Pic 2 – I good photo well framed

Pic 3 – I great photo really captures the moment. While in pic 1 I want to know what will happen, this picture I want to know what has just happened. Has the tackler just head butted the ball out of his arms, or has he just kicked through?

Pic 4 – My least favourite but still good. (and as a prop that’s saying something) I’ve looked at quite a few shots of front rows over the years and the best seem to be taken from low down just before the scrum engages (facial expressions key).

IMHO

Thanks

No. 3 has to be the best for me, action wise. Sort of photo I strive to get! Does need a tad sharpening though

As a defence to the scrum picture, I have lots of them as I'm asked by the pack to get pics of them in the scrum or at a bottom of a ruck as they don't tend to get pictures anywhere else :LOL: I really want to be able to get a rugby ball's view one day but it will have to be a staged photo obviously (ie looking up from the floor). But I do try and get them at the "pause" bit just before the engage and tend to continuous shoot right through to try and get the moment

Nice set though (y)

Back