Critique Moth Appreciation Society

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
After not getting much chance to shoot today the moths gave me some photography release.

Ready for Light
by bthomas124, on Flickr

This is shot through a not very clean window.

Moths Insides1
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Moths Eye veiw
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Second attempt at focus stacking.

Focus Stacked Moth
by bthomas124, on Flickr

And because I could get the other side of the upstairs bedroom a green fly through frosted glass.

Frosted Green Fly
by bthomas124, on Flickr

I did have a look see if I could find the name of the moth but seems they are a minefield as with all bugs... must get myself a book!

C&C as ever welcome or just any opinions would be appreciated.

Not tried moths or any other insects yet. My brother is into moths in a big way, proper trap, light, egg boxes etc. what lens etc are you using?

Not tried moths or any other insects yet. My brother is into moths in a big way, proper trap, light, egg boxes etc. what lens etc are you using?

I'm using a Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro.

Shots look ok to me. Are they moths that have landed on your window? Reflections.

Last edited:
Shots look ok to me. Are they moths that have landed on your window? Reflections.

Correct they all were attracted to the light in my kitchen.

Also if you can ask your brother to identify them it would be appreciated.

Any more comments anyone? I know they are very bland coloured but there is beauty in here somewhere!!! Reflections are due to double glazing.

Particularly the focus stacking as not sure I have the method quite correct.

Last edited:
The green fly is a Lacewing. He's not sure on the others but thinks they are either an 'Engrailed' moth or one of the 'Beauty's' of which there are several sub species.

He asks when they were taken, what time of year to be specific. He's also passing them on to a vet mate who's cleverer than he.

Ok here goes.

The photo of the underside of the moth is a Micro moth. The other is The Engrailed moth - Ectropis Bistortata. It has two broods March - April in the South and June - early August.
In the north just a single brood. It is variable in appearance and is a Geometer moth ( don't ask me it's from my brother). It has looper caterpillars and it's food plant is deciduous trees.

Nerdy eh!

Cheers for that.... always handy to learn things. especially when taking pics of bugs.. :D

Nice collection. Be worth keeping an eye on your window and see what else turns up throughout the year. Although Butterflies are very popular and we are more familiar with them (as they are out during the day), I understand they are far outnumbered by the species of moths out there. As a result they contain some of the more interesting variations and behaviours, and well worth investigating further.

@TimmyG cheers, did the stack look ok as I keep thinking something is wrong with it but cant work it out.

These moth pics did get me thinking is it possible to bug hunt at night and whether its worth it.

Yep the stack looks good to me. It looks to be in focus throughout, how many frames were used? There is a funny patch of darker blue n the window by the tip of the left antenna and also by the front right leg. I'm not sure what would cause this, was there some movement in these areas that you had to correct?

As for night time bug hunts, a lot of my images are taken at night (especially the ones throughout winter when the sun goes down early anyway). A lot of bugs are out and about at night, and as my usual setup involves using my flash as the sole source of light, it makes no difference if the sun's out or not. You will need a separate source of light to help focus and compose the shots however. I got one of those fairly cheap LED video lights for Christmas, that I've stuck on a gorilla pod. I took that out last week and it worked brilliantly as I didn't have to hold it whilst trying to line up my shots.

Last edited:
It was 7 frames I think would have to check. Not sure if there was any movement moth looked pretty static. Will check the images again to see if that blue appears in any or if it is a stack gaffe.

Guess I'm a little lucky as the ring flash has a couple of led modelling lamps which are bright enough illuminating bugs. Just need to get myself a powerful torch, as up back of my house is a forest so bet there is some amazing bugs to be had. Great lamp idea though may invest in one as I already got gorilla pod esque mini pod thats no way strong enough to hold my camera setup.

Back