mother and son..

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
i was out in the garden this evening shooting some flowers as the weather was nice,when my daughter walked out with her son wrapped in a blanket(she had been trying to get him to sleep)so i turned around and shot them before she had a chance to run in the house...she hates being the "wrong side" of the camera,as does her dad :LOL:

i've done a crop on it to try and give more impact,and converted to mono..does it work?

stephandethan.jpg

Very nice shot, the b&w conversion is great (not that I've seen the colour one).

Definitely works. Really lovely shot.

Andy

really nice conversion i do prefer the b+W to the colour

I think the B&W has the edge, as you say. I think I would lighten the eyes just a tad though.
Lovely image (y)

The eyes stand out so much, which I love. Also a fan of the conversion. Did you do any editing on the eyes out of interest?

thanks yet again folks...much appreciated (y)

devitt...i've done no editing to the eyes at all(i wouldn't know how to,to be honest):bonk:i just used the channel mixer to convert to mono,and adjusted brightness and tweaked the contrast a little.

my photoshop skills are a bit limited at the moment...

Thanks good to know. Im not all that in the editing department either:LOL:

Its good but needs a bit of tweaking to finalise it. The b&w is a bit lacking in the highlights department, seems a bit dark.

Untitled-1_%40_100%25_%28Layer_1%2C_Gray_8%29-20080815-175650.jpg

Great shot, great conversion.

I much prefer your version to Pete's edited, but thats just me...

Very nice, and the closeness is just lovely :) I do agree that the eyes perhaps need lightening a little (get learning! :bat:). I like Pete's edit, but still the eyes need a little lift IMO ;)

Lovely shot, I prefer your original to the tweaked version, it portrays the mood better being softer and darker rather than brighter and harsher, it is also a big improvement on the colour version. The main thing is you like it that much you have used it as an avatar.

Great capture Stan.

(y)(y)(y)

What lens were you using Stan?
:shrug:

Lovely shot, I prefer your original to the tweaked version, it portrays the mood better being softer and darker rather than brighter and harsher...

I only adjusted the levels so its no softer or harsher than the original. I'm not really sure what mood the under-exposed version is portraying.

I only adjusted the levels so its no softer or harsher than the original. I'm not really sure what mood the under-exposed version is portraying.

Dont you just love the way everyone has a different opinion on photos, the beauty of photography...

Some of us prefer the original version, others will prefer yours, it's no biggie... I'm not sure I understand your need to challenge every little critisism of your work?

Its a photography forum and well its a little odd to me that people like something thats obviously under-exposed which to me is simply a technical error and creates no mood. I worry that the op will go away and continue taking under-exposed photos because someone said it portrayed something. I was asking what it portrayed. I also wanted to clarify that my edit is no softer than the original as I only edited the levels. I also wouldn't say the light itself is any softer.

Without reading any of the comments, I felt the first lacked contrast and the eyes were super dark. I do like the edit Pete has done, and I also like the colour version.

Gary.

They eyes are so much better in this version. l think its a bit bright too....needs taking down but without losing the eyes.

lts a super shot.

Lovely shot, works better converted IMO. Well done on noticing it'd look good that way.

Personally I prefered the original, though the child's eyes are a little too far over on the 'bottomless pools of black/satan's eyes' for me right now.

I know conventional thinking is that B&W should feature full white to black contrast, but I reckon the more muted greys suit the subject matter in this case. It'd only be an exposure error if accidental, otherwise wouldn't it be a deliberate choice?

thanks everyone for your input,and without this input i wouldn't be able to improve my photography/editing skills.exposure wise,i didn't alter this whilst converting the image from RAW to JPEG as it looked fine to me in the original colour version,so obviously things seem to look different when converted to mono.i agree the eyes do look a little dark,but i know of no way of changing this as my photoshop skills are limited at the moment.what i have done however,is done another version by re-doing the EV in the RAW editor,then doing the conversion again in photoshop,what say the massif...no-one said photography was gonna be easy :LOL:

stephandethan2.jpg

Now that looks much much better! The eyes are about perfect :D

Cracking shot Stan, first one for me is the best (y)

Back