Motorbike Racing Cadwell Park

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok here is my problem, I spent all day Sunday watching and taking pictures of the rider I sponsor. Out of all the pictures I took I have very few keepers.
So the scenario is, get set up take a few test shots of the other riders, choose my settings and I am ready to go..

Then my rider passes I squeeze off a few rounds and check the pictures, All blured..
I found that after I set the camera I threw it over my shoulder waiting for the riders to come round again and I must have knocked the roller as the shutter speed settings had changed:bang:

Is there any way of locking the settings you have made to stop this from happening??

This is one of the better shots but its still not in focus as it was taken at 30" but not out of choice.

p792162824-3.jpg

I know I need more reach but thats as close to the track I could get at the part and I dont have a 300

I know I need more reach but thats as close to the track I could get at the part and I dont have a 300

but you do list a 70-200 IS 2.8L , wouldn't that take a 2x teleconverter? giving you 140-400mm for minimal outlay or bag space and a slight drop on the maximum aperture

Alternatively, (or as well!) for this purpose, would it be worth trying switching to the 400D body as it gives you the enlargement of the crop factor? (will the 2x on a f2.8 autofocus OK with the 400D?)

Cheers for the replys guys, but the reach dosnt concern me I have some nice close up shots but they are usless.
The area I want to address is the settings changing and locking off the camera with chosen settings if possible.

I was moving around a lot so the camera was all over the show it actually got quite anoying as every time I took a shot it wasnt what I wanted:shrug:

He is racing again not this weekend but the one after so I will try again. I think he is at Malory Park (need to check that) never been there before so should be a good day out.

Pete

@ Chris

Your last shot, am I right in thinking you are right down in the corner next to the fence entering the mountain?

Pete

@ wookie

Gaffa Tape makes racing possible. My rider was tee boned entering the mountain on the second race which resulted in a new set of clip-ons and 50% stake in Gaffa.

@ Chris (again)

Your first shot is at 135mm

I am guessing your trackside for that shot (or crop) ??

This one was taken at 200mm and it aint as close as yours

p1011810236-3.jpg

Cheers for the feedback

Pete

He is racing again not this weekend but the one after so I will try again. I think he is at Malory Park (need to check that) never been there before so should be a good day out.

Pete

Sunday 30th, I think is a New Era round at Mallory, I should be there cheering on the guys I raced with last year in Desmo Due - if you are snapping get to Edwinas, we had to have 3 restarts last year, it was carnage !

We had 2 races on the Sunday and 1 race on the Saturday.
The last race on the Sunday saw Brad knocked out of the race by some muppet who tried to go under him entering the mountain and took them both out.
I spent all day at the mountain except for this race when I went round the back to Park straight so I didnt get pictures of the crash:wacky:

So no pictures of the crash just the bikes

p626099795-3.jpg

Pete

cant really help with the issue of your settings changing as i always hold my camera, i never feel comfortable with it on my shoulder. if anything it goes around my neck.

@ Chris (again again)

#3 you have as taken at 200mm :thinking:

p940380373-3.jpg

My system says its 400mm :razz:

Pete

Hi Pete, if you would like some company at Mallory park in a week or two when you are there, just let me know. Maybe we can work on your settings then. :)

Joe

I have spoken to Brad and the next race is 30th at Mallory, I will be the one taking the crap photos if you pop down:woot:

Piginell
The shots you mention are both from where you say... and I was not trackside - as in having a press pass
I paid my entrance fee and was with everybody else, Cadwell is easy to get near to the action, I did take some with my 400mm as well but the majority were at 200mm or less- I could of used the converter with some but the 1st few rows in the grandstand at the mountain is one of the best places for dynamic looking shots
I took all of my in the air one's from there and used my 135mm lens for the lot... with minimal cropping
so no you dont need a long lens
cheers Chris

Cadwell is a great track for photography, not sure what focal range your lenses are, but there are a few places where you dont need a 300mm Lens
on the corner before the mountain is a good example (Close)

as for your settings just be more careful, and you should have no problem
this was with my 135mm
91280171_GSauB-L.jpg

200mm
91280524_tKqcg-L.jpg

200mm
91290978_LZbtU-L.jpg

cheers Chris
Nice pics, Hall bends is another good spot

few happy snaps I took of our Runt bike at Cadwell
IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

Hi,

I am one of the resident photographers at Mallory, i will be there on the 30th New Era meeting,

quite a few easy shooting spots round there, The bus stop, Edwinas, the hairpin, out side of the esses.

I dont know what equipment you use, but I dont know an SLR that can be locked, most full time togs never take anything for granted and are always checking their settings,

One piece of advice, dont try to go too low on the shutter to start with, say between 250th - 400th dependant on speed of subject.

good luck with it

Hi,

I am one of the resident photographers at Mallory, i will be there on the 30th New Era meeting,

quite a few easy shooting spots round there, The bus stop, Edwinas, the hairpin, out side of the esses.

I dont know what equipment you use, but I dont know an SLR that can be locked, most full time togs never take anything for granted and are always checking their settings,

One piece of advice, dont try to go too low on the shutter to start with, say between 250th - 400th dependant on speed of subject.

good luck with it

Cheers for the reply

No doubt I will see you there on Sunday, my current kit is a Canon 5d.

I might pick your brains on the day if you dont mind:help:

Pete

Back