Motorcycle Sunset

No..sorry but it's a poor shot. I don't understand the above comments? The bike is too dark with details lost in the black parts. you can't see the engine properly.. its a motorbike you should be able to see these things..

It's a shame you have NO on edit your photos or I would show you how to bring them up in post processing.. TIP : if you have photoshop then try "highlight/shadows" tool :)

Poor shot? Nah. I think what you mean is you don't agree with the editing effort.

If I could have chosen the location beforehand, setup the shot, moved the sun, or had an off camera flash, maybe a better pic would have come out. Unfortunately it was a motorcycle ride where I took a quick break. I saw the shot and said, why not. It was an impulse shot taken on an iPhone and edited on the iPhone. It was meant to be nothing more than that.

I can appreciate your exuberant post for some pics on this forum but I think maybe perspective is important here. I don't have Photoshop or Lightroom so my options are limited.

Go ahead and have an edit. Let's see what you can pull out of this small iPhone file.

Last edited:
Poor shot? Nah. I think what you mean is you don't agree with the editing effort.

Nope.. you can't see the engine.. its a blob of black.. for a motorcycel shot you should be able to see it.. IMHO and in many others:)

If I could have chosen the location beforehand, setup the shot, moved the sun, or had an off camera flash, maybe a better pic would have come out. Unfortunately it was a motorcycle ride where I took a quick break. I saw the shot and said, why not. It was an impulse shot taken on an iPhone and edited on the iPhone. It was meant to be nothing more than that.

Doesnt matter what you used .....are we to now decide a pic is good or bad depending on what was used to take it.. .. .I comment on the picture

No sorry .... I really dont like this way of thinking.. .....i took it with an iphone so its a good picture because it was an iphone.. thats just an excuse for a bad picture otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.. Look at the picture for what it is without the excuses and you will understand..

It's a quick phone shot taken during a bike ride. It's not a professional shoot for a motorbike magazine. :)

I know... the point I made if you read my original answer was that it could be improved wiht PP.. you don't think so?

OK then... wow its a great shot! .. :(

I know... the point I made if you read my original answer was that it could be improved wiht PP.. you don't think so?

OK then... wow its a great shot! .. :(
I read your original answer, and I know it can be improved with pp, and I know it's not a great shot from a technical point of view. That doesn't mean that folks can't like it. In your original post you also said you didn't understand the previous comments. You then said to "look at the picture for what it is" which is what I commented on.
You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean no one else can :D

Personally I like the silhoutted effect that "black blob" gives as it makes the sunlight and background all the more warmer.

If you wanted to mess around with the PP on your iPhone tex, I'd recommend PS Express. It's free from the app store and has all the basic features for doing as Kipax has suggested.

moved from talk motorsport to Photo's:Transport.

Please try and ensure you post your images in the photo-sharing areas, and if you don't wish to receive critique on the shot, place them in photo's for pleasure, as the rest of the photo-sharing area is "fair game"...

Thanks.

Nope.. you can't see the engine.. its a blob of black.. for a motorcycel shot you should be able to see it.. IMHO and in many others:)

Doesnt matter what you used .....are we to now decide a pic is good or bad depending on what was used to take it.. .. .I comment on the picture

No sorry .... I really dont like this way of thinking.. .....i took it with an iphone so its a good picture because it was an iphone.. thats just an excuse for a bad picture otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.. Look at the picture for what it is without the excuses and you will understand..

I don't like your way of thinking on this picture either. You are still far too serious about a non-serious shot. I also don't think you understand shots that are taken for fun. I don't think you understand how challenging it was in person with the amount of light coming my way on a camera phone.

Maybe I have it in the wrong forum. I posted it here because I thought it was for iPhone type shots which to me means, not serious DSLR shots . I wasn't necessarily asking for edits to start. I'm not making money on it either. It's just a shot for fun.

If you don't like it that's fine but I don't need coaching on editing pics. I do know how to edit and had all the equipment under the sun in the past. This is just a fun shot on my work phone. To be honest, getting that orange sunset light and having my bike still come out on the iPhone was an accomplishment in itself.

moved from talk motorsport to Photo's:Transport.

Please try and ensure you post your images in the photo-sharing areas, and if you don't wish to receive critique on the shot, place them in photo's for pleasure, as the rest of the photo-sharing area is "fair game"...

Thanks.

I thought this was for iPhone shots and I selected do not edit. We are only having a healthy debate on how much is too much critique.

I think some of the comments above are a tad harsh. It's a fun pic and I actually quite like it. I also love motorbikes, though, so I'm certainly biased! @texfoto being as you gave your permission for us to have a quick fiddle I ran it through PS for a few mins. It's not perfect PP by a long way, if such a thing exists but I liked the final result. I do wish the file contained a bit more info but that's phone images for you with this kind of light. Here's a side by side. What do you think? And if you loathe it you're most welcome to say so. It was just a few minutes of fun for me whilst I look after my sick 7 y/o who's so far asked me a little over 2000 questions he really didn't want to know the answer to. :D

Yours:

image1464541933-977536-jpg.65604

Mine:

bike_zpsw5oyag9j.png

can't see for the life of me how "Talk Motorsport" (the forum area that the picture was in when I stumbled upon it) could be considered an area for iPhone shots tbh, seems pretty clear to me that it's for - well - Talking about Motorsport. If you don't want full critique on an image (and you're quite within your rights to ask that) then I'll happily move the whole thread into Photos for Pleasure, as thats the only place where images aren't for full critique - in the photo sharing sections, put simply, you don't really get to set the degree of critique you recieve - you can choose to ignore it - or explain why it's not valid in your opinion, but don't be surprised if people disagree (at length) with your opinion...

Trouble with listing the shadows is you affect the colours of the sunset behind the bike. What was really needed was a little bit of light on the bike to lift it, but as OP has said it was just a grab shot. After that it's about positioning. I'd have had the bike further back in the layby/driveway so it looked like it was ready to go off that road heading into the distance.

There's also a possibility of playing with the angles, a little further back maybe, a little lower rather than taking it at eye height. There's also the chance of positioning the bike to have the sunset colours reflecting off the bike, highlighting the exhausts, frame etc, plus it would light the details. As the light and background was so good I'd have played with all the above to try different shots.

For me, I'd also clone out the two distracting cars coming up the road.

If we're honest, I also think the OP threw up a shot to show off his nice bike and wasn't quite expecting so much comment/critique :D

I think some of the comments above are a tad harsh. It's a fun pic and I actually quite like it. I also love motorbikes, though, so I'm certainly biased! @texfoto being as you gave your permission for us to have a quick fiddle I ran it through PS for a few mins. It's not perfect PP by a long way, if such a thing exists but I liked the final result. I do wish the file contained a bit more info but that's phone images for you with this kind of light. Here's a side by side. What do you think? And if you loathe it you're most welcome to say so. It was just a few minutes of fun for me whilst I look after my sick 7 y/o who's so far asked me a little over 2000 questions he really didn't want to know the answer to. :D

Yours:

image1464541933-977536-jpg.65604

Mine:

bike_zpsw5oyag9j.png

I like this. I think I tried it in the iPhone and got similar effect but was then torn between more orange or more bike. The light at the time was more orange hence why I took the pic but it was challenging to get the bike in reasonably. I should ha e brought along my X100 and shot in raw. :-|

If we're honest, I also think the OP threw up a shot to show off his nice bike and wasn't quite expecting so much comment/critique :D

:D I thought about removing the cars, too but I actually quite liked them in the shot. Here they are gone. :D

bike2_zps67ghr8rt.png

can't see for the life of me how "Talk Motorsport" (the forum area that the picture was in when I stumbled upon it) could be considered an area for iPhone shots tbh, seems pretty clear to me that it's for - well - Talking about Motorsport. If you don't want full critique on an image (and you're quite within your rights to ask that) then I'll happily move the whole thread into Photos for Pleasure, as thats the only place where images aren't for full critique - in the photo sharing sections, put simply, you don't really get to set the degree of critique you recieve - you can choose to ignore it - or explain why it's not valid in your opinion, but don't be surprised if people disagree (at length) with your opinion...

Understood. Thanks for the explanation on what goes where. I'd say Pleasure as I agree this was not for Motorsport. I was just snapping a pic on a late afternoon ride.

Trouble with listing the shadows is you affect the colours of the sunset behind the bike. What was really needed was a little bit of light on the bike to lift it, but as OP has said it was just a grab shot. After that it's about positioning. I'd have had the bike further back in the layby/driveway so it looked like it was ready to go off that road heading into the distance.

There's also a possibility of playing with the angles, a little further back maybe, a little lower rather than taking it at eye height. There's also the chance of positioning the bike to have the sunset colours reflecting off the bike, highlighting the exhausts, frame etc, plus it would light the details. As the light and background was so good I'd have played with all the above to try different shots.

1) I was trying to actually park the bike up at the right angle and could not get the side view of the bike without narrowing the profile too much. I wanted that orange on the bike. This was taken in Woburn Park and I was not sure I was even allowed to stop where I was. Just saw the sun and went for it.

2). I really needed to be there at dawn instead of dusk to accomplish what I now know would be a great shot. I'll bring my X100 and a tripod for that one.

3) yes, I was showing off my nice bike. Haha

Last edited:
I like this. I think I tried it in the iPhone and got similar effect but was then torn between more orange or more bike. The light at the time was more orange hence why I took the pic but it was challenging to get the bike in reasonably. I should ha e brought along my X100 and shot in raw. :-|

Yep. An X100 would have nailed it nicely for detail.

1) I was trying to actually park the bike up at the right angle and could not get the side view of the bike without narrowing the profile too much. I wanted that orange on the bike. This was taken in Woburn Park and I was not sure I was even allowed to stop where I was. Just saw the sun and went for it.

I really needed to be there at dawn instead of dusk to accomplish what I now know would be a great shot. I'll bring my X100 and a tripod for that one.
I'm thinking head onto the sun at a slight angle say 20-30 degrees off, so nose into the space away from the road, so the bike leans right on the stand, then you stand in the road for the shot.
Just thoughts for next time ;)

MAnfrotto Befree - tiny, fits well on a bike

Back