Mount cutting

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all
I just got a new Logan 760-1 mount cutter!

I having a problem when I cutting a bevel window! When I am getting to the last 2 inches of the cut in not cutting all the way though the board! I feel I am keeping the pressure the same, but slow up a bit near the end to not over run on the cut!

Any ideas what I doing wrong, please?

Sounds strange. Could you mark the guide for the cutter where the end it, or even better put a stopper there, so you don’t need to slow?

Sounds strange. Could you mark the guide for the cutter where the end it, or even better put a stopper there, so you don’t need to slow?
That sounds like a very good idea.
Can't think of any other reason than downward pressure on the cutter is being reduced.

I make a conscious effort to keep pressing down uniformly because the same thing has happened to me.
Maybe also look how you are standing, aim to maintain the same stance all the way through the cut.
You may be stretching towards the end and pushing more along rather than down.

I was watching one of the Logan 'tutorial' videos and I may have mis-read what was being shown but I saw him pulling the cutter towards himself and there was a marker on the cutter that he drew/pulled to a datum line which I perceived was the end of the cut to create end point of the bevel at the corner.

It is essential that you have some spare board under the board you are cutting which allows the blade to go deeper. I use a Logan 350.

Dave

It sounds to me that you aren't running the cutter start/stop gauge to the template window line?

It is essential that you have some spare board under the board you are cutting which allows the blade to go deeper. I use a Logan 350.

Dave
Hi, Dave Thanks for your reply! I did forget to put this slip board in when I started but remember to do it in the end! LOL

That sounds like a very good idea.
Can't think of any other reason than downward pressure on the cutter is being reduced.

I make a conscious effort to keep pressing down uniformly because the same thing has happened to me.
Maybe also look how you are standing, aim to maintain the same stance all the way through the cut.
You may be stretching towards the end and pushing more along rather than down.
Hi, tijuana Thanks for your reply! You may be right! I try again soon and see what happens?

Thanks for all your help with this guys! I am cutting some big windows! So I could be? Here is what it looks like! IMG_20220703_183835_886.jpg losing pressure on the last bit of the cut!

Slightly off topic but I've often thought about trying to make my own mounts and always come away feeling that given how few I'd be making the cost of a decent cutter is prohibitive despite the pleasure of doing the whole thing (including making frames)
Given that there is clearly a learning curve there is room for plenty of frustration - would that be a fair comment given that I've never even tried?

Slightly off topic but I've often thought about trying to make my own mounts and always come away feeling that given how few I'd be making the cost of a decent cutter is prohibitive despite the pleasure of doing the whole thing (including making frames)
Given that there is clearly a learning curve there is room for plenty of frustration - would that be a fair comment given that I've never even tried?
Not really, i'm not much of one for craft type stuff, but its actually quite easy.
Just need to take care marking it up and follow the rule of measure twice and cut once.
The cutters don't need to be expensive and its quite satisfying seeing that nice bevelled opening.
I started with this outfit, contains all you need apart from the board to get started Logan Team System

Not really, i'm not much of one for craft type stuff, but its actually quite easy.
Just need to take care marking it up and follow the rule of measure twice and cut once.
The cutters don't need to be expensive and its quite satisfying seeing that nice bevelled opening.
I started with this outfit, contains all you need apart from the board to get started Logan Team System
Thank you TT, much appreciated.
I'd only looked at the £200-odd kits, the one you link to looks less scary.
I'll have a proper look when I get back from my holiday.

I started with the Logan 4000 cutter, metal ruler and cutting board to adapt ikea mounts for A2 prints. Quite inexpensive.

Back