mountain bike advice

evans have a few 2007 bikes with money knocked off as the new 08 range is arriving.

For 300 quid your best bet there would be a Trek 4300 or the Spesh' hardrock disc

Both are alu frames with a front shock from the budget end of the scale, but should take some serious riding :)

The discs at this price point are mechanical types and they need a bit more love and attention than their hydraulic cousins.

I got a Cannondale F6 from Evans for £330. No disc brakes, but then I'm not a fan of cheap cable pull disc brakes anyway, the v-brakes are plenty for me. I'm pretty sure they had a GT with disks for £300 when I was in there last, think it might have been the avalanche.

I have the Specialized Hardrock, without the disc brakes. Apart from the camera, best thing I ever bought, I love it.
It's not bad on tarmac either, once you put some skinny tyres on it.

thanks guys

the bike i had before was a Felt, and i really liked the look and loved the bike.
unfortunately i cant seem to find the same one or anything similar.

The reason why i wanted discs this time, was because i rode it a lot in the rain (and through the thames floods) and i didnt like not being able to stop afterwards :)

As above, cable pull disk brakes are rubbish and a decent set of V's will be way better

I have a hardrock disc that I keep as a back up for when my bike is getting a service - for a cheap hardtail it has lasted pretty well (considering I have ridden it off some pretty rough terrain) could be easily upgraded if I hadn't spent all my pennies on my full suss. Gets a thumbs up from me.

i bought this one in the end. hope its a good one!
Y6841X_BIG.jpg

i'll be using this for getting around london and leaving it in a few places even overnight. what do you guys recommend for securing it? I'm thinking a big chain and a fat padlock.
I'm thinking i might weld the seat too.

i have a kryptonite d-lock and a big hoofing chain to secure the Merlin. Cost about £80 in all, but its not been nicked yet!

thing is though, if someone really wants it, they will probably get it. I try not to leave mine outside if i can help it!

Nice bike btw, i remember lusting over Bianchi racers when i was a kid...

i'm thinking of getting a mini portable mig welder and carrying it with me. whenever i need to leave it somewhere i'll weld it to something big :)

No point......If a scum bag wants it, he'll have it away in less time than it took you to lock it up.

Cordless angle grinders are the order of the day for slicing through most locks. And if they wear a high vis vest and look official when doing it it, the public don't bat an eye lid. :crying:

Back