Mountain Biking - Off camera flash newbie.

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Doing some shots for a mountain bike magazine last week. I thought I'd try my hand at off camera flash.

A bit of a rush on, so I only manged a couple of attempts, this one is buy far the best.

Flash on the ground, pointing up at rider about 10 feet away.

Comments as always welcome.

Ta Rich

Could do with a bit of a sharpen

Thanks for the comment.

Here's a 100% crop

100Crop.jpg

Hi Rich,

Looks like a good effort from just one flash! Personally, I'd prefer a tad more ambient light and the entire rider/bike lit. It's just a question of getting out there and shooting as much as you can with off-camera flash.

I'm with dean I think the flash would have been better high up lighting the whole rider & bike, it looks like it's only caught his face.

Right enough the whole bike could do with lighting. Though I do like that the ground isn't illuminated. More practice when it stops raining.

I had a go at this a few months ago...

2873463632_c7f1b309b7.jpg

2886173878_0262e98816.jpg

2886174814_cd5de94121.jpg

2883100366_978fb0a659.jpg

2872637597_f9b5a44fc6.jpg

Try a slower shutter speed to let more ambient light in and try setting the white balance to flash to make it look a little warmer.

On the first and last one I posted, the white balance was on auto and makes the photo look quite cold. Where did you take that one if you dont mind me asking?

Try a slower shutter speed to let more ambient light in and try setting the white balance to flash to make it look a little warmer.

The woods are in Cardiff. It was quite gloomy there so the ambient isn't far off.

Like it, maybe worth getting a gorilla pod so you can fix the flashgun to a tree branch?

I approve of his choice of bike to ;-D

Doing some shots for a mountain bike magazine last week. I thought I'd try my hand at off camera flash.

A bit of a rush on, so I only manged a couple of attempts, this one is buy far the best.

Flash on the ground, pointing up at rider about 10 feet away.

Comments as always welcome.

Ta Rich

Cool. Bring the ISO up a few stops to balance the image better. What magazine are you shooting for?

I'll look out for your photos in the mag then. Which issue?

And I must get round to signing back up for the singletrack forums...

Jees... it's all gone a bit STW in here hasn't it? Didn't know you were on here Stewart. How's things?

As for the photo crit/comment: It does look a bit dark. What remote setup are you using?

I'll look out for your photos in the mag then. Which issue?

The next one.

Jees... it's all gone a bit STW in here hasn't it?

As for the photo crit/comment: It does look a bit dark. What remote setup are you using?

There's a few STW regulars here.

Set up, Vivitars and Skyports. I got some better shots today.

Hi Ryan - good thanks. Not been long on here. Funny how we all use the same long in names (apart from mine is too long!) - no originality. And we've all had images in singletrack too! Hurrah! We should all get together for a MTB togging expedition... maybe at a suitable event! Then force Sim to put some of the piccies in the mag...

As for the image - how would 2 flashes have worked? One on and one off camera perhaps? Or moving the flash away from the subject to throw the light a bit wider? I'm no expert mind - havent even got off camera capabilities at the moment...

As for the image - how would 2 flashes have worked? One on and one off camera perhaps? Or moving the flash away from the subject to throw the light a bit wider? I'm no expert mind - havent even got off camera capabilities at the moment...

If I was to light the same shot again, I'd have one light behind the rider, and two in front one lighting the rider, and one the bike, but keeping it tight so the flash didn't light the trees.

Back