Mountain Hares in Cairngorms/ Otters on Skye - advice needed

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone. I'm hoping that i can get a little advice from a few people who have knowledge of the Cairngorms and the Isle of Skye. I'm 50 in February and am treating myself to 6 days photography in these new locations. I'm from Northern Ireland so have never been in these areas before. I'm well used to photographing our local Irish Hares (below) and want a go at Mountain Hares in their white coats. I have been doing a lot of research online and got a little advice from one local guy who has been over and the Glenshee ski resort has been mentioned so it is a potential spot to try. I'm staying in that area for 2 days so would love to hear of other places to try. I have no idea of parking places or tracks up into the mountains so all info is greatly appreciated. I have plenty of experience of hiking and and camping including in the snow so that isn't an issue.
After 2 days in the Cairngorms i am heading to Skye for 3 days and then Glencoe for a day on the way home for a mixture of landscape and wildlife photography. I would love a chance at Otters while on Skye so again would appreciate any info on this. I have only encountered Otters a couple of times on local rivers so would die for a chance to spend a little time with them. I know giving away locations can be sensitive so if anyone wants they can pm me on here or email me at philblair73@hotmail.com.
All and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Philip
DSC_0450-Edit-Edit.jpgDSC_5720.jpgDSC_7362-Edit-Edit.jpg

Phil
As your time is limited you may want to use a guide, not everybody’s cup of tea but will improve your chances. Neil Macintyre just outside aviemore used to do hares- not sure if he still does.
Skye is a big island and again a guide may help. I was able to see quite a few otters in various places but not really close enough to get decent photographs. There is lots of suitable habitat and again the use of a guide may help point you in the right direction. Sorry not to be of more help but good luck

A guide was also going to be my suggestion.

A guide was also going to be my suggestion.
Phil
As your time is limited you may want to use a guide, not everybody’s cup of tea but will improve your chances. Neil Macintyre just outside aviemore used to do hares- not sure if he still does.
Skye is a big island and again a guide may help. I was able to see quite a few otters in various places but not really close enough to get decent photographs. There is lots of suitable habitat and again the use of a guide may help point you in the right direction. Sorry not to be of more help but good luck
A guide would be ideal but the £200 plus per day is way over my budget I'm afraid. I'm van camping to cut down on accommodation, the ferry over and fuel are my biggest costs.

Hi Phil
I tried Glenshee a few times but didn't really get any joy as they were always bolting as soon as they seen me :D so the last few times I tried Findhorn Vally and had good success with a few of them that didn't scarper :) couple of pics here from Findhorn Valley. Have a great time and hopefully you get some cracking shots (y)

Mountain Hare, Scotland, Cairngorms by Paul Jeffries, on Flickr

Hi-5 by Paul Jeffries, on Flickr

Coignafearn lodge.
Park after lodge and Follow findhorn valley...

Last edited:
Hi Phil
I tried Glenshee a few times but didn't really get any joy as they were always bolting as soon as they seen me :D so the last few times I tried Findhorn Vally and had good success with a few of them that didn't scarper :) couple of pics here from Findhorn Valley. Have a great time and hopefully you get some cracking shots (y)

Mountain Hare, Scotland, Cairngorms by Paul Jeffries, on Flickr

Hi-5 by Paul Jeffries, on Flickr
Lovely shots Paul, I would be happy to get something like that. Thanks for the advice, will have to do a bit of research on the Findhorn valley. I think that is the place I have seen on a couple of YouTube videos.

A number of years ago now, and I wasn't there for the photographs, but we took a boat trip near the Skye Bridge and saw quite a bit of wildlife, including seals and otters. The otters were completely unfazed by the boat, happily going about their business.

Lovely shots there Phil and wishing you success next time :D

Wrap up warm in February :D

A little further on from the Cairngorms, The Applecross pass (Bealach na Ba Road) is part of the NC500 route. As I drove it one december night we spotted a good few hares as they bolted across the scree from snow patch to snow patch. There is parking at the top of the pass and my sightings were between there and Applecross.

Back