Mounting arca type plate to 150-600 C

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to mount a arca type plate to the single screw thread on a sigma 150-600 C lens as they tend to work lose being single screw ..
Or a better lens tripod mount ?

Whimberley advise their P-30 plate here https://www.tripodhead.com/products/lens-plates-main.cfm

This has lugs and as I recall a rubber surface to 'lock' it firmly on to the lens foot. Both these elements to the design & usage/attachment mean it will not rotate and undo itself.

PS I never had an issue using the same design (shorter model) on my Canon 100-400 II. You make sure the thing is bolted firmly using the supplied Allen key :)

PPS having sold my Canon 100-400, I am using the same plate on my Olympus 40-150 lens.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to mount a arca type plate to the single screw thread on a sigma 150-600 C lens as they tend to work lose being single screw ..
Or a better lens tripod mount ?

A dab of Loctite Blue?

GC

I find it hard to understand why manufacturers still use a single screw to fix anything.
It would be far better to offer a dovetail ftting from the start.
Others would soon fall into line.
With perhaps the offer of a plate and screw adapter for those that want some thing less efficient.

Been mulling it over since posting yep loctite is one way , I have stuck a piece of neoprene under it for now . Also thought of building a anti twist dam across the plate using sugru . Or tapping in a couple of Allen key bolts in front of the lens foot I.e into the plate .. workshop time methinks. As there’s only a single screw it can easily undo so needs something to hold it firm and stop the initial twist

Last edited:
Been mulling it over since posting yep loctite is one way , I have stuck a piece of neoprene under it for now . Also thought of building a anti twist dam across the plate using sugru . Or tapping in a couple of Allen key bolts in front of the lens foot I.e into the plate .. workshop time methinks
Have you been having issues already?
Or are you anticipating an issue?
Seems like a lot of faffing over nothing.

I find it hard to understand why manufacturers still use a single screw to fix anything.
It would be far better to offer a dovetail ftting from the start.
Others would soon fall into line.
With perhaps the offer of a plate and screw adapter for those that want some thing less efficient.

FWIW the Olympus 300mm f4 has both ~ the foot is shaped with the Arca Swiss dovetail grooves & a screw point for non AS users.

Have you been having issues already?
Or are you anticipating an issue?
Seems like a lot of faffing over nothing.
Yep loosening issues already ,will sort it though

@the black fox

You say 150-600 C in your OP but in your profile it says 150-600 Sport........................on the Wimberly page they show a P-50 plate for the Sport version which has 2 screws or the AP-608 replacement foot ;)

PS as per @johnf3f 's post there are possibly/likely more budget worthy alternatives???

Last edited:
Need to change that sold the sport a year ago due to the weight , just bought this C on thurs

Need to change that sold the sport a year ago due to the weight , just bought this C on thurs

Asking the obvious........................the plate for the S has two screws for two receiver holes, that I can understand based on the higher weight, therefore with the C being lower in weight and perhaps a smaller foot I am surprised it has two holes???

If you insist on the two screw option then it looks like you need an equivalent of the P50, however the anti-twist nubs on the P30 and other clones should do the job AOK.

Last edited:
The C has only one fixing hole. I have a couple of arca plates around so rather than buy yet another one I will be doing a bit of home engineering later , if it works fine I will post results if not I’ll buy one with the backstop fitted .
I have a few chrome Allan key bolts to fit a back stop just depends if I have any small taps in the workshop , think there about 6 or 8 mm

I wonder whether a simpler solution to avoid it twisting is to use some double sided adhesive tape?

Bearing in mind the clamping force of even a single screw is significant......afteral the camera body (in modern ones) have only ever used a single point. The force you are trying to mitigate for is much smaller by comparison.

So, you likely don't need to cover the whole contact area with the tape.

Worth a try??? Though of course should you aim be to switch or change the plate often the faff of cleaning up the tape residue would be more trouble than it is worth!

double sided adhesive tape or rubber carpet spray glue .the glue does a very good job and if you ever need to take it off hot water will help then turpes to clean it .

Rob.

If its twisting its not tight enough.
Used the lens with a generic arca type plate and never had issues with loosening or twisting.
Now use the same plate on my Panasonic 100-400 and no issues.
You just need to make sure it's nice and tight.

double sided adhesive tape or rubber carpet spray glue .the glue does a very good job and if you ever need to take it off hot water will help then turpes to clean it .

Rob.

Nice to get some confirmation that slight curve ball idea is known to work well :)

If its twisting its not tight enough.
Used the lens with a generic arca type plate and never had issues with loosening or twisting.
Now use the same plate on my Panasonic 100-400 and no issues.
You just need to make sure it's nice and tight.

In general good point about query how tight has Jeff managed to get it? But something that though not too common needs to be 'taken into account'.....that is the depth of the hole [which for a quality lens like Sigma should be standardised] BUT more importantly the length of the screw thread.

Jeff in his posts points to him having practical engineering skills......so measuring the depth and screw length is straight forward. So stating the obvious (?) if the screw is even a tad too long it will never be possible to tighten it enough and attempting to do so can, depending on the construction of the mounting hole, cause real damage!!!

So over to you Jeff for the feedback & insight on the above and oh, which make & model plate are you trying to use?

Last edited:
I have a120mm Arca plate attached to my 150-600 with a single screw and it's never moved. I use plate to carry the lens or lens and camera and it's never moved.

The plate has some rubber on the face and is been tightened with the supplied screw and Allen key. Nothing fancy, no over engineering and is not going anywhere.

Back