Move from Nikon DSLR to Canon R5/R6

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
I have been a Nikon user for many years and have invested a lot of "dosh" in Nikon glass

I've had a bit of a rest from "birding" since lock down and the equipment I have for birding is the Nikon D810/D750 with the Nikon 300PF, Nikon 300mm f2.8VR and Nikon 600mm f4 ... I've always been quite happy using this kit

I'm just getting up to date with mirror-less systems, I almost bought a Nikon 500PF, but it is out of stock, so I'm looking at light-weight alternatives - (the older I get the more help I need with weight, AF etc.).

BUT

I have been "reading up" on the latest mirror-less stuff, and I'm now considering the Canon R5/R6 with the 24-105mm f4 for general use and the 100-500mm Canon RF lens for birds - this would certainly reduce the kit I carry when we take our annual trip to South Africa etc.

I'm retired and most of my "bird" photography has more and more been done outside the UK

I am quite happy to continue to use the D850 and Nikon glass for general stuff and I am quite impressed with the 105mm f1.4 I have just added

I would think that many have chosen the Canon R5/R6 rather than the Nikon Z6/Z7 because of the (reported) better focus tracking for moving birds/animals of the Canon

What do you think?

your comments would be appreciated

Last edited:
Canon's R series have this amazing eye AF which might be exactly what you are after. An R5 has a decent resolution as well. They are however hilariously expensive as are the RF lenses - but you can buy the EF lenses and adapt them to the RF mount via the adapter.

I've got an R5 Bill, and whilst its great bit of kit, take a close look at the Sony alternatives. If you can live with the slower aperture then the best lightweight birding setup is Sony with the 200-600. If its mainly static birds then the a7riv is the one to head towards, if its tracking flight then the a9 (both versions) have the edge. Of course, if you're feeling flush then the a1 is the best of both worlds. The slower aperture matters less with the NR technology available nowadays, as well as the increase in higher ISO IQ.

Both Sony and Canon knock spots off Nikon in the AF tracking department, but again, if its more perched birds then the Z7 would be a great contender, and you can keep your current lenses.

Mike

Back