Move to pan/tilt from ball head

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Completely dumb questions:-

1) Do you lock the tilt by twisting the pan handle (if that's what it's called)?

2) I note most tilt/pan heads are described for video use, does this mean that fluid damps the pan speed? Would this adversly affect panning (and tilt) say photographing a football (soccer) match with a DSLR?

Currently considering a Manfrotto 701HDV for my Manfrotto 190ProB to alternate with the 486RC2 ball head to hold the kit in my sig.

I'm happy / have to hand hold taking BIFs and I have usually hand held during football, but I'm finding nearly two hours (being ready just in case) like this gets tiring.

3) Do you think this would be a poor setup?

4) Should I really be looking at a monopod? Bearing in mind, I tend to pick my spot and stick with it. If so any suggestions would help.

Many thanks for any feedback

Jamie

Jamie the 701 is a video head. I think you should be looking at photo heads (808RC4 or similar) for still photography: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site...MN:MAIN:AB:SUB1:AF:SUB3:AB&idx=82&livid=80|81

Personally, I think for your needs you'd be better off using a monopod (Manfrotto 679B) and either employing your existing 486RC2 head or getting the Manfrotto 234RC tilt head for it

Thanks for that input and suggestionsGofer....

Looking at a pic of that monopod head I'm not sure if it pans or not, if not do you just twist around...if so won't it just dig itself into a big hole?

Jamie

Thanks for that input and suggestionsGofer....

Looking at a pic of that monopod head I'm not sure if it pans or not, if not do you just twist around...if so won't it just dig itself into a big hole?Jamie

:LOL: well that's one way of looking at it Jamie and not entirely wrong either! I think with the 234RC head it's assumed you'll be using a lens which has a tripod mount (so you'll be able to take pictures in portrait mode) but you are correct, the 234RC will not pan, it is purely a tilt head and you'd have to swivel the monopod to pan. If you already have the 486RC2 however that is an excellent match for a monopod as it will allow you to mount a camera to your pod and still be able to take pictures in portrait orientation (and pan if you don't want to dig a hole!).

Also, if you haven't invested in a monopod yet, have a look at the Manfrotto 685B. It's single- handed pistol grip raising and lowering, and the pod tubes are free to rotate inside each other when the pod is rased, so there's no need for a panning head.

^^^ Agree, monopods for fast sports like football. I tried it with my 190xpro tripod and gave up after a matter of minutes.

Jamie the 701 is a video head. I think you should be looking at photo heads (808RC4 or similar) for still photography: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site...MN:MAIN:AB:SUB1:AF:SUB3:AB&idx=82&livid=80|81

Personally, I think for your needs you'd be better off using a monopod (Manfrotto 679B) and either employing your existing 486RC2 head or getting the Manfrotto 234RC tilt head for it

I have just got this set up for my 100 - 400 monopod Manfrotto 234RC tilt head i find it much easier than a my tripod with a normal head

Gofer, CT, Sarin and Cason.....thanks very much for your help (y)

It seems unanimous...I should go the monopod route...:)

I'm looking now at the suggested pods and heads (I'll still have the ball head of course)

One thing I had not realised before which got me a bit flumoxed....

Yesterday I took my tripod to the local village footie match...never used the tripod with the 1D3 before and shock horror it wouldn't mount on the quick release plate. I realised that the 1D3 built in grip doesn't / can't mount normally on the quick release plate when the plate is on the 100-400.

I didn't have time (no truth is I did I think about it at the time), so spent the whole match with the camera body mounted on the tripod.

Got back home and the light bulb came on....you have to loosen the lens collar, mount the camera + lens with the quick release on the lens loosen the collar rotate back to position tighten collar and voila...duh! Still a PITA ***' :bonk:

Jamie

If you want to mount the 100-400 on to a Manfrotto quick release head, mount the Lens sideways. That way the battery housing does not foul the quick release lever. This way you can still get at the quick release ( it's now on the right hand side) and it's easier to use.Alternatively mount the camera and lens with the quick release lever away from you

I also second the idea of a monopod. I use mine with a grip action ball head. ( Quick release away from you)

Well..CT got me interested in the 685B and although a bit long and folks mentioning it's heavy, it seems to get good reviews.

Does anyone know if a Manfrotto 322RC2 gripped ball head is any good, and would this work well with a monopod such as the 685B? I can see it working well with a tripod, but as I'm already persuaded to go for a mono, I though I'd better check ??

Jamie

Well..CT got me interested in the 685B and although a bit long and folks mentioning it's heavy, it seems to get good reviews.

Does anyone know if a Manfrotto 322RC2 gripped ball head is any good, and would this work well with a monopod such as the 685B? I can see it working well with a tripod, but as I'm already persuaded to go for a mono, I though I'd better check ??

Jamie

I had the 685b for a couple of months and returned it to manfrotto because the grip kept working loose, causing quite a bit of movement in the lens. What seemed only a small amount of movement at the lens plate was actually quite a lot at the front element. The manfrotto rep couldn't solve the problem, so gave me a full refund.
I bought another manfrotto monopod (need to check which one) and its been much better.

Kev.

Jamie

Jamie we use 2 685B pods and we have the Manfrotto #234 tilt head on both of them. It's a small, light tilt head and it's cheap as chips.

234.jpg

You can easily mount any other head on this pod which has a standard screw fitting, which means pretty well anything- the monopod has a screw which caters for both sizes. In all honesty you don't really need anything else for most lenses, as the pan function is taken care of by the tubes being free to rotate inside each other.

I have used this pod with a gimbal head and the 500mm lens too.

Jamie we use 2 685B pods and we have the Manfrotto #234 tilt head on both of them. It's a small, light tilt head and it's cheap as chips.

234.jpg

You can easily mount any other head on this pod which has a standard screw fitting, which means pretty well anything- the monopod has a screw which caters for both sizes. In all honesty you don't really need anything else for most lenses, as the pan function is taken care of by the tubes being free to rotate inside each other.

I have used this pod with a gimbal head and the 500mm lens too.

CT and Kevshore thanks. CT have you experienced any problem such as Kevshore had?

On reflection, I think the 322RC2 would probably be a pain or overkill or both.

Now looking at Manfrotto 234RC which has been reccommended by several posters now and looks much the same as the 234 you use, except it has quick release I believe..

Jamie

We've had no problem with either of the 685 pods Jamie - but you can have a dodgy one I suppose like anything else.

I personally wouldn't bother with the quick release version of the #234, but it's a matter of personal preference. It could be a help if you intend swapping lenses a lot and you have the plates for each.

If you want to mount the 100-400 on to a Manfrotto quick release head, mount the Lens sideways. That way the battery housing does not foul the quick release lever. This way you can still get at the quick release ( it's now on the right hand side) and it's easier to use.Alternatively mount the camera and lens with the quick release lever away from you

I also second the idea of a monopod. I use mine with a grip action ball head. ( Quick release away from you)

Thanks for that Chappers!! Now why didn't that occur to me :shrug:

Stuck in a rut...too busy thinking of the shot to stop and think...duh! :bonk:

:clap:

Jamie

We've had no problem with either of the 685 pods Jamie - but you can have a dodgy one I suppose like anything else.

I personally wouldn't bother with the quick release version of the #234, but it's a matter of personal preference. It could be a help if you intend swapping lenses a lot and you have the plates for each.

Thanks for that CT (yeah I do switch lenses now and again) and thanks to everyone for the help.

Ordered the Manfrotto 685B monopod and 234RC this afternoon.

FYI cheapest I could find combo was MorrisPhoto although some folks here had some problems with them and stock availability I believe.

Called them up and allegedly in stock; will ship tomorrow for Wednesday delivery.

Pod £92.93 incl vat
Head £20.55 incl vat
Ship free

£113.48

Someone is going to tell me now I could have got them umpteen squids cheaper now.

Thanks again all
:clap:

Jamie

Back