Moving to PAYG Mobile, retaining Existing No.

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Just wondered, I'm currently with Orange and have been informed by a profoundly disinterested person on their "helpline" that if I want to change from contract to PAYG i'll lose my existing number. Now, this is a pain for a number of reasons...

1, I'm too dimwitted to learn a new Number
2, I've had the same number for 7 years now, for business, and it's with literally hundreds of my clients (many of which i've probably lost the contact number for!). Some of them don't call for anything up to 18 months, before getting in contact and giving me another 3k job - not a call you want to lose!
3, I've got a whole load of business stationery with the mobile number on it (did a job for a print company and was paid in custom stationery :LOL:).

Now, I'm currently making maybe half a dozen calls out in a month on the contract phone, on the cheapest package I can get with orange, the phone is more for people to get in touch with me. Obviously, a PAYG solution would be cheaper.

So - any experts out there who know if a) Orange's help-person was talking out of his harris and b) if not, how could I get on a PAYG and keep my phone no. Even if it means moving to another provider, on contract for 6 months (say) then moving to their PAYG.

Orange have no requirement to offer you number portability as an existing customer and I believe the legal requirements only apply to contract. I'd check if any of the other providers offer number portability on PAYG and move operator if necessary.

Long as your contract is up, ask for a PAC code from orange, then move to another provider- pay as you go or contract. Sorted :)

I wouldn't have thought there would have been any issues with it personally, you are staying with Orange albeit Pay & Go (which is surely more profitable for them?) so why wouldn't they...as a good will to a long time customer?

Checking it looks like lots of operators don't allow number portability on their network, so moving is the obvious choice. You need a PAC from your existing operator to move the number but that can be done after you've got your new deal sorted out (it will come with a new number first and then the transfer can be done)

Time to look at the deals on offer...

I changed from contract to PAYG with orange and kept my number so they do it , ask again

They can transfer your number to PAYG.

Whoever you talked to on the phone either did not know this or worse told you an outright lie

I did this with Orange about 8 months ago. But Orange being what they are cocked it up and I spent a week trying to recover my number which I eventually did.

Tim

They can transfer your number to PAYG.

Whoever you talked to on the phone either did not know this or worse told you an outright lie

Sounds about par for the course either way. I'll give them another try tomorrow I reckon, maybe i'll be lucky and get someone that knows their stuff:shrug:

well - finally got around to calling them again - it seems that they've set up a system within the retention department to cope with this scenario. So - for anyone that's wanting to do the same, it's fairly simple.

1. Call 150 on the orange handset
2. when connected dial 1,2,4 to speak to accounts (you may need to verify your password via keypresses)
3. Ask to transfer from Pay-Monthly to PAYG and they'll transfer you via the retentions department to someone who'll arange it for you.
4 theres a 30 day cancellation period, and at end of it they send you a blank PAYG SIM card and a special 0800 phone no. to call which deals specifically with transfers from PM to PAYG, and ensures you keep your existing phone no.

Hope this is of help to anyone who may be considering the same!

Back