MPE65 first go! Not to impressed with my technique. Another picture added!

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
Received my nr mint MP-E65 today and had to have a play. Fortunately the MT-24 fitted to it without the need for an adapter ring and 20 minutes later my flash diffusers from Flash in the Pan turned up too.

Went outside to try it out, bleddy hell it's hard, I couldn't see what I was trying to capture at 5:1 and when I tried to take some images of the tame Garden Orb spiders at 5:1 the MT-24 guns burst the web before they came into focus.

I then tried using it at 4:1 chasing an ant, no bleddy chance, so now have a great deal of respect and admiration for those that use the MP-E65 for taking such fantastic images of moving creatures.

So, I resorted to taking some images of a Daisy at 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 & 4:1, the ones I took at 5:1 were rubbish and a lot of experience will need to be gained before these begin to be of any value. They were handheld and using the MT-24, but obviously would use a tripod if taking flowers in the future

Not great I know, but after my first try with the lens I have realised that a sieep learing curve lies ahead, and things can (hopefully) only get better from here.

1:1

4009009465_2f7ce513dd_o.jpg

2:1

4009009939_cce61de4b4_o.jpg

3:1

4009776562_98fbee2d1c_o.jpg

4:1

4009776902_e0b52d2d42_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see the effect of the different magnifications available. That lens will probably next on my list, but I've still got to get to grips proper with my 100mm macro and MT-24.

Hope you have fun with your new toy :)

Nice, hard work though isn't it. Practice practice.

Enjoy your new toy Eddie

I've ordered a canon lens to nikon body adaptor for the sole purpose of buying one of these lenses, it's a much cheaper alternative to buying a canon body

very interesting to hear how you are getting on......the MP-E is the one thing that makes me want to get a Canon body !

Well done Ed... Enjoy it... I really want one of these lenses myself... well it's on the want list along with a pile of other stuff.

this is one of the lenses il be buying once i sell my 5d mark 2 so il be watching your posts with interest to see how your getting on!

I've ordered a canon lens to nikon body adaptor for the sole purpose of buying one of these lenses, it's a much cheaper alternative to buying a canon body

Hmm sounds like a plan - I guess the adapter will also act as an extension tube giving slightly greater magnification with reduction in light tradeoff.

Bugger, wish I kept my mine now. :D

I then tried using it at 4:1 chasing an ant

Haha best of luck with that, I found it was quite often easier to use lower mag and crop when using on FF, also at 4 & 5x you generally need the focus assist lights on the MT24.
Have fun with it, it does take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang it's a superb lens

Hey Ed!! I did say you would love it and hate it all in the same breath :LOL: Good to see you are starting to experiment and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;) Enjoy.

Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330362299330&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Edit: the forum seems to mess the URL up, if you go into ebay it's item number 330362299330

I would think twice before going down this route. The adapter has a lens built in which is necessary to get focus to infinity. The lens acts as a 1.6X TC, increasing the lens' focal length, and also cuts down light. Then ask yourself what quality lens are you going to find in a £25 adapter, and what is that lens going to do to image quality, vignetting etc.
A better idea, if you do not fancy changing all your gear to Canon, is to get a 350D body S/H and use that as a dedicated macro setup.

well for the sake of £24 I thought it was worth a punt, if the built in lens is pants I'll remove it, it's not as though I need infinity focus anyway. I have loads of macro kit for the nikons already so ditching this and buying an inferior canon doesn't appeal.

I would think twice before going down this route. The adapter has a lens built in which is necessary to get focus to infinity. The lens acts as a 1.6X TC, increasing the lens' focal length, and also cuts down light. Then ask yourself what quality lens are you going to find in a £25 adapter, and what is that lens going to do to image quality, vignetting etc.
A better idea, if you do not fancy changing all your gear to Canon, is to get a 350D body S/H and use that as a dedicated macro setup.

I have loads of macro kit for the nikons already so ditching this and buying an inferior canon doesn't appeal.
Why would you want to ditch your superior Nikon kit :LOL::wacky: I use my Mp-e on my 350d and if you want to use one of Canon's superior lenses that is the best and cheapest route to go but you will need a flash also ideally. Be-warned, it is a lens that takes some getting use too.

we're going slightly off topic here but basically it means I have to buy another body too! I'm used to crazy macro stuff, I do loads of photomicrography too which is another extreme altogether, getting just a couple of microns depth of field is seen as a bonus on the microscope :D

Had another go with the MP-e65 and the MT-24. This was at 5:1 (exif data intact)

ISO 3200, 1/125 @ f11

eyefly.jpg

Last edited:
Your best shot so far with this lens Ed. Looks like you're improving pretty quickly.

Looking good Ed(y) Can I ask why you needed iso3200 with the MT-24? Saying that though looks like the 7D handles it well!!

Thanks all (y)

Honest Injun? Forgot to change the ISO from the non-flash shots I was trying earlier :whistle:

Hey Ed, looks like you've got the hang of it looking at that eye (y)

Hey Ed, looks like you've got the hang of it looking at that eye (y)

I'd like to think so ;) but no :nono: not really :thumbsdown: bit of a cheat, the fly was dead :naughty: I found it on the windowsill, put it on my CF card box and took a shot, actually I took two and the other was rubbish!

After I saw the pic I was going to say Wow, you've got it cracked - then I get to your post. I guess its a case of persevering - I had great thoughts on geeting myself the MPE-65, but on refelction I've got a long way to go before I'm ready to try that lens.

Back