MS Edge playing up!

Edit My Images
No
I thought this might have been caused by today's Win update so installed it....but no change!

Until this morning Edge has been well behaved but now (posting via my phone ;)) I see all my tabs & grouped tabs but all the pages are blank white screens.

This includes the settings screen.

I have "repaired" it and that installs/reinstalled it but no change.

So far I am at a loss :thinking:

Has anyone a suggestion or three to offer?

TIA (y)

Just updated mine and all is well. Sorry! Hope you get sorted.

I thought this might have been caused by today's Win update so installed it....but no change!

Until this morning Edge has been well behaved but now (posting via my phone ;)) I see all my tabs & grouped tabs but all the pages are blank white screens.

This includes the settings screen.

I have "repaired" it and that installs/reinstalled it but no change.

So far I am at a loss :thinking:

Has anyone a suggestion or three to offer?

TIA (y)
Yes, three :)

Firefox
Opera
at a push Chrome

Have you got any ad blockers or privacy programmes running?

Blank tabs usually indicate connection problems.

When you write "posting via my phone", are you using the browser in the 'phone or using another device via the phone connection?

Yes, three :)

Firefox
Opera
at a push Chrome

Have you got any ad blockers or privacy programmes running?
Well Chrome runs fine......I just Edge a more useful variant ;)

No Ad blockers or privacy programs..
Blank tabs usually indicate connection problems.

When you write "posting via my phone", are you using the browser in the 'phone or using another device via the phone connection?
As above Chrome is fine, so no connection issues.

One possible issue is Edge using "hardware acceleration" but as I cannot even see the "settings" tab I cannot check/change that setting!

OK you could try the following.

Click on start > Settings > Apps and features

Select Microsoft Edge from the list and click Modify

Click Repair

Once you have done this reboot the system and then open Edge to see if the issue has been fixed

No, this has happened on my old one.

My new one is still in the boxes ;)
Hurry up and build it then - then you won't get these problems :)

(Microsoft Edge has always done weird and wonderful things I didn't want - so haven't used it in any depth - I get all I need from a combination of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox - other browsers are available, and are generally quite easy to migrate to - have you tried any alternatives?)

OK you could try the following.

Click on start > Settings > Apps and features

Select Microsoft Edge from the list and click Modify

Click Repair

Once you have done this reboot the system and then open Edge to see if the issue has been fixed
I have done that (a couple of times) with no effect :(

Hurry up and build it then - then you won't get these problems :)

(Microsoft Edge has always done weird and wonderful things I didn't want - so haven't used it in any depth - I get all I need from a combination of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox - other browsers are available, and are generally quite easy to migrate to - have you tried any alternatives?)
Patience needed as I have yet to source the HSF because IMO bizarrely the Intel Retail CPU package did not include the HSF !

Patience needed as I have yet to source the HSF because IMO bizarrely the Intel Retail CPU package did not include the HSF !
Mine didn't come with one either, I think that's a trend these days as lots of people putting in a decent spec CPU tend to want to choose how they cool it - I opted for a fan cooled sealed water flow system thingy.

I noted that the 'repair' function does a re-install.

It does a partial install not a total uninstall

I would suggest a total uninstall, reboot the system, then download and re-install the latest version direct form Microsoft

It does a partial install not a total uninstall

I would suggest a total uninstall, reboot the system, then download and re-install the latest version direct form Microsoft
Fair point :thinking:

I look that up but does the bookmark etc get left behind for use with the re-install?

Edit ~ I note that under Apps & Features that for Edge "uninstall" is greyed out o_O

Edit2
Having Googled the subject~ It looks like it can only be removed with more than a tad of jumping through hoops..................annoyed but trying not to be bothered by it :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::police:

Last edited:
Is anyone using Opera Browser?

The way they talk it up it does seem very good. I may give it a go IIRC you can have multiple browsers on a PC :)

The annoying thing is that I found the Edge function of grouping tabs into expandable sets very useful and Chrome does not do that.

Yes chrome does do that.

Just right click on a chrome tab it it should bring up the various options.
Doh!

Many thanks I had not realised 'that' was there (y):jaffa: ............................for now I will get my Edge URLs, still visible even if the pages are blank, and add them to Chrome and then group them as before ~ phew! Though it will be a bit of slog :(

Last edited:
Doh!

Many thanks I had not realised 'that' was there............................for now I will get my Edge URLs, still visible even if the pages are blank, and add them to Chrome and then group them as before ~ phew! Though it will be a bit of slog :(

Have you tried doing the following:

In chrome select the 3 dots menu top right and then select settings.

Then select Import bookmarks and settings

Select Edge from the dropdown list and the items you wish to import, then click on import.

Hopefully if the above works for you it will help ease the "slog"

Have you tried doing the following:

In chrome select the 3 dots menu top right and then select settings.

Then select Import bookmarks and settings

Select Edge from the dropdown list and the items you wish to import, then click on import.

Hopefully if the above works for you it will help ease the "slog"
This is why TP and the members is such a good forum.

I will have a looksee though I don't recall the last time I saved/exported the Edge bookmarks etc.....so the list might be quite old ? However, if Chrome can scavenge all the tab URLs that would, as you say, ease the slog :)

I use chrome and opera , chrome as it synchs all my book marks over my 3 devices and opera as the basic vpn allows access to some torrent sites that are blocked in the uk

Reactions: RIR
Firefox for me. Edge came with Windows 10 but I've never even opened it.

I had Edge on my old PC, again, never used it there either (Firefox instead) but I did notice when Windows 8.1 stopped being supported, I was notified that I wouldn't be able to use Edge anymore (not that I ever did). I never looked into it but it might be worth bearing in mind for those that intend to stay Windows 10, as support for that ends in 2025.

I will double check this as we still use the old PC now and again.

Most browser problems are caused by extensions.

I'd start by turning them all off and seeing if that fixes it. If so, turn on one by one.

Most browser problems are caused by extensions.

I'd start by turning them all off and seeing if that fixes it. If so, turn on one by one.
I have never added any extensions that I am aware of......but all of the pages, including settings etc, are blank even to check let alone remove/disable it/them, sadly means it is academic:(

Just a suggestion run CC Cleaner and see if that helps

Firefox for me. Edge came with Windows 10 but I've never even opened it.

I had Edge on my old PC, again, never used it there either (Firefox instead) but I did notice when Windows 8.1 stopped being supported, I was notified that I wouldn't be able to use Edge anymore (not that I ever did). I never looked into it but it might be worth bearing in mind for those that intend to stay Windows 10, as support for that ends in 2025.

I will double check this as we still use the old PC now and again.

EDGE is not being discontinued, just the legacy side which is linked to classic MS internet explorer that has now been killed off.
MS EDGE is ok it is quite lightweight but i find chrome with its synch across devices much better.

Is Edge replacing Internet Explorer?

Support for Internet Explorer ended on June 15, 2022

Microsoft Edge is the faster, more secure browser recommended by Microsoft. With improved security, privacy, speed, and ease of use, Microsoft Edge surpasses the experience you've come to know with Internet Explorer.

Back