MS Office Outlook 2007 oddity

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I would welcome any insight on this strange behaviour

Normally for all hyperlinks in emails they just work, so to speak.

But I have one (type of) hyperlink that for some reason is failing.

It is parcel tracking link from a supplier clicking on the Manage my delivery does nothing i.e. no web page opens! :( However if I hover the cursor over it I can see the URL but then right clicking to copy the hyperlink for pasting it into the browser all that is copied is the plain text of "Manage my delivery".

This has me foxed and IMO does appear to be some issue with Outlook because my phone I have different email client and the clickable link works as expected :)

So just what is it about the email and Outlook that are not 'working together' ???

TIA :)

I've seen links in ebay emails do it too, but not always - very strange.

I've seen links in ebay emails do it too, but not always - very strange.

Glad I am not the only one, I have looked for any clues in the settings but none obvious!

Almost all emails I get are HTML not rich text so as per to cursor hover the link shows by why is inactive and does not copy to clipboard???

I am wondering that though if it is a compatibly question based on the source email client introducting some formatting that my older MS Office Outlook 2007 does not understand???

What email program do you use?

A friend of mine sent me an e-mail were he added a hyperlink for the tracking of a parcel,stated that it was not showing as a hyperlink and would I copy and paste,but,
when I received the e-mail the hyperlink was working. Very strange.

Update of sorts?

I dug a bit deeper and viewed the source, it comes up in a simple text viewer (this was by right clicking away from the text area and picking 'view source' ~ sorry if I state the obvious ;) )

I then did a word search to find ref to delivery and found the URL > select for copy & paste to the browser and works AOK :)

The other odd thing I found was that there was another hyperlink to the suppliers main page and that works AOK........so it would seem to be isolated to the "manage my delivery" hyperlink. In the source I see ref to Kryptonic Software and this I discovered is an eCommerce platform solution provider. So pure supposition on my part that there is a glitch in it in regard to the recipients email client in use???

Edit ~ curious & curiouser ~ I have now had the email from DHL advising me of the anticipated delivery time and exactly like the suppliers email the link to review the consignment is not working but the others in the email that go to say the FAQ's page are fine. Now why the heck is that???? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Could they be links copy/pasted from a (part of the) website that requires the presence of an authentication cookie?
Unlike the sender, you aren't logged in, so you don't get to see the content?

Could they be links copy/pasted from a (part of the) website that requires the presence of an authentication cookie?
Unlike the sender, you aren't logged in, so you don't get to see the content?

There could be some relevance with that:-
If I view the email as plain text the hyperlink still does not work
Though mentioned if copied & pasted it is fine.

I surmise the emails are auto created so if something by way of copying and embedding into the email is going wrong it seems fault lies with DHL!

Back