Mt. Shuksan revisited

Name
Rocky
Edit My Images
No
went back up to Mt. Baker area last weekend, got some nice pics of Baker herself, but had really gone to re-shoot Mt. Shuksan, a popular local photo destination. i took a similar shot a couple of years ago with my 30D and a 24-135 lens, wanted to see how it would look with the 40D and a slightly wider view. I got another nice calm afternoon, the reflection in the lake is, if anything, better than my last shot, and the 40D did its job perfectly, with better color balance and a cleaner, clearer image... this is now my "print" version of this scene!

ShuksanMirrorsignedsm.jpg

Wow stunning photo... how come nobody has noticed this little bewt

Ow, thats so sharp I nearly cut myself. An absolutely stunning image, this is the kind of thing I'm after achieving.
I need better glass (and technique and scenery).
Rocky, this is a brilliant shot I love it.

Andy

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

Ow, thats so sharp I nearly cut myself. An absolutely stunning image, this is the kind of thing I'm after achieving.
I need better glass (and technique and scenery).
Rocky, this is a brilliant shot I love it.

Andy

Andy, this was taken with a $300 lens... the Tamron SP AF17-35 f/2.8-4 Di LD. It's much cheaper than the 17-40L, and certainly the 16-35L, but it takes very good photos, especially for its price range. it's not stabilized, but since most of my landscape work is done from a tripod, that doesn't matter to me. you can get more info about this lens here.

Just seen this. It is just great. Bet the air was real pure too.

Beautiful.(y)(y)

One word.......

AWESOME!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

Andy, this was taken with a $300 lens... the Tamron SP AF17-35 f/2.8-4 Di LD. It's much cheaper than the 17-40L, and certainly the 16-35L, but it takes very good photos, especially for its price range. it's not stabilized, but since most of my landscape work is done from a tripod, that doesn't matter to me. you can get more info about this lens.

Cheers for the info mate, I'll be in the market for a good landscape lens in a few months and that one is now on the list.

Andy

Firstly, it's a fab shot of a wonderful place :clap:

Secondly, in local camera club circles it'd be 'thrown out' apparently

We had an eminent YPU judge to our club recently and he heavily criticised a Lake District shot (similar idea to this, God damn pretty) for being 'too pretty'

No, we couldn't believe it either. Worse was to come though... apparently if such a fantastic shot turned up for the annual YPU exhibition he said it'd be 'thrown out' for the same reason

Re-arrange these words "stupid" & "bloody"

Fab shot - well done

DD

:clap::clap: No words good enough (y)

Firstly, it's a fab shot of a wonderful place :clap:

Secondly, in local camera club circles it'd be 'thrown out' apparently

We had an eminent YPU judge to our club recently and he heavily criticised a Lake District shot (similar idea to this, God damn pretty) for being 'too pretty'

No, we couldn't believe it either. Worse was to come though... apparently if such a fantastic shot turned up for the annual YPU exhibition he said it'd be 'thrown out' for the same reason

Re-arrange these words "stupid" & "bloody"

Fab shot - well done

DD

Daft is that. I want to be able to take shots this good and I dont think its "too pretty" at all, just damned good, technically, compositionally and any other 'ally you care to name. :shrug:

Andy

Daft is that. I want to be able to take shots this good and I dont think its "too pretty" at all, just damned good, technically, compositionally and any other 'ally you care to name. :shrug:

Andy

:agree:

They also have a policy of not judging any more 'Puffin with bills full of Sand Eels' shots

:wacky::wacky::wacky:

DD

To quote the Reverend Spooner "whata dunch of bickheads". :D

Andy

thanks for the kind words, everyone! DD and Andy... sounds like you have some pretty strange "judges" over on your side of the pond! mind you, i care less about judges' opinions and more what my customers have to say... and everyone who's bought a print of this scene (the original 30D version) has been absolutely thrilled with it. i have 20x30 prints in people's homes and offices up and down the west coast, and as far away as South Korea... i guess that makes up for the "too pretty" statement... ;)

Last edited:
Definitely does mate and I'm not at all surprised that its a big seller, its great.

Andy

thanks for the kind words, everyone! DD and Andy... sounds like you have some pretty strange "judges" over on your side of the pond! mind you, i care less about judges' opinions and more what my customers have to say... and everyone who's bought a print of this scene (the original 30D version) has been absolutely thrilled with it. i have 20x30 prints in people's homes and offices up and down the west coast, and as far away as South Korea... i guess that makes up for the "too pretty" statement... ;)

Apparently - the very popularity of such 'chocolate box' images is what now puts so many judges off them

It's completely bonkers in any normal person's eyes - be they West Coast or Korean

DD

Apparently - the very popularity of such 'chocolate box' images is what now puts so many judges off them

It's completely bonkers in any normal person's eyes - be they West Coast or Korean

DD

I guess judges are looking for something "edgier", or somehow more "creative"... which is fine, if that's your priority in photography. for me, the only "judges" whose opinions mean anything are my customers! :D

Back