Beginner MTB bike trails

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
First attempt at this sort of thing last night. Decided to take the old D70 in the backpack on the bike and play about. Aside from working out the exposure, biggest problem doing this by myself is finding somewhere to sit the camera (wedged between tree branches here) and being able to get up the trail and ready to run bang on 20 seconds when the timer goes off. Many attempts but this worked out the best.

I'll play about some time with twisty trails. What I'd really like is to get the ghosted image of the rider as I see people do. Not sure how. Trigger an off camera flash just as the rider approaches while keeping a long exposure? I guess I'd need help from someone to do that.

Night riding Surrey Hills by tj.moore, on Flickr

Nikon D70, 18-70 DX, f/11, 10s, ISO 800. Support... tree branches. Tweaked in Capture NX slightly to brighten though brings out the grain a little. Two bike lights, wide spread bar light, and spot on helmet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, that's the problem. I love mountain bikes and photography, but combining them tends to mean less time actually just having fun riding in order to set up shots. Worse with friends as it'll bore them trying to faff around, and then they get to be in the nice shots and I'm just the photographer.

Agreed deadkenny ... I guess it is difficult to balance when two elements. Most of my photography is done on much longer or multi days rides when a few minutes here and there don't impact on the overall ride too much.

How do you carry your camera on the bike ?

I take my big Camelback Hawg, which is big enough to get an SLR in there with not too big a lens, plus can still cram in spare tube, medical kit, tools and stuff. Heavy especially with water as well, but I don't mind for the odd occasion. I've often used it for skiing as well.

For normal rides I use a much smaller pack though.

I take my big Camelback Hawg, which is big enough to get an SLR in there with not too big a lens, plus can still cram in spare tube, medical kit, tools and stuff. Heavy especially with water as well, but I don't mind for the odd occasion. I've often used it for skiing as well.

For normal rides I use a much smaller pack though.

Okay sounds good.

I had the guy at Alpkit modify one of these with extra padding and a roll top for my Sony RX100 .. now thinking it would be good for a lens maybe

Back