Monthly mtjhome's 2013 ETC (January's added)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all!

At last, I'm up and running.
So, I know the whole point of this challenge is to push us outside our comfort zones.
Nevertheless, when I saw the list I thought 'What have I let myself into??'
I have to admit I didn't really have any interest in some of the themes (see comments).
Luckily, as I understand it, it is just 6 pics - doesn't matter how many themes are attempted.
However, the dust has settled, and my 6 pics for January follow.

Star Trails (not my scene at all - so pass)
Domes/Orbs (pass)
Sparklers/Fire Dancing (pass)
Fairy Lights (no thanks)
Physiogram (never heard of it! but did a bit of research and had a go)
City Lights/Night Lights (Yes - that's more like something I fancy having a go at!)

Last edited:
Welcome to the madhouse - or one of them!

Night lights, you have some nice detail showing but they all look rather yellow, might have benefited from having the white balance turned down a little

You have some interesting shapes in your last physiogram, how did you achieve it?

I think the idea of the themes is to get us to try things that are out of our comfort zones, I either could not do (star trails) because I was not willing to stand outside with finger on button for ages at a time, or interest in things such as orbs but had a go (and grumbled to myself the whole time :D) but I learned a few things. Such as - when doing orbs take a powerful torch so you can find your camera and tripod again, star trails - wear gloves, night lights - put cat out of way

I think it's worth trying different things, even if you don't enjoy doing it at least you know for sure. I would never have given some of these ETC's a go but I'm certainly going to revisit some of them. I won't be doing physiograms again tho! :LOL:

I agree with Christine about your night shots, you've captured some good detail but they look a bit yellow. What's going on in your first and second physiograms? I can't work it out. Last one is very unusual, well done.

Many thanks for the comments.
Welcome to the madhouse - or one of them!
Night lights, you have some nice detail showing but they all look rather yellow, might have benefited from having the white balance turned down a little

You have some interesting shapes in your last physiogram, how did you achieve it?

Yes, night shots are too yellow. I have tweaked them a bit already, but when I made them much whiter, but somehow they didn't look right.
Am I 'allowed' to re-post them??

All my physiograms were done with laser pointer suspended from the ceiling and shining onto black board. I can't really remember how I achieved the motion on last one...

I think it's worth trying different things, even if you don't enjoy doing it at least you know for sure. I would never have given some of these ETC's a go but I'm certainly going to revisit some of them. I won't be doing physiograms again tho! :LOL:

I agree with Christine about your night shots, you've captured some good detail but they look a bit yellow. What's going on in your first and second physiograms? I can't work it out. Last one is very unusual, well done.

Yes, I'm doing this to force to try different things - at least I have done two!
First two physiograms were done with a laser pointer shining onto objects. First is a Chinese teacup and the second is an apple

Cheers
MIke

I never thought about photographing the light they were falling onto, that explains the different effects

As far as I am concerned you can either repost or re-edit (and leave a note that they are edited so when anyone else looks they know they are changed), that is a way of learning, post, get feedback, re-edit and post again and get more feedback :)

Last edited:
I like your night light shots Mike, especially number 1, and yes the edits are much better.

Your physiograms are better than you think, and kudos for trying something different with the first two; what is that that the light is playing on?

Ho, edited church photographs are great. Really eerie and the snow is a nice touch.

Physiogram 3 is the one for me. Nice pattern.

Cheers.

Nit picking but straighten up that church shot and it will be excellent :)

Back