Muay Thai Boxing

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Following on from elephants posted in the animals section here are my second set taken from my recent trip to Thailand!

To be honest I'm not sure if these work (I haven't processed them in PS or anything like that). They are all slighly under exposed which is something I can hopefully rectify within PS.

The light was terrible and what light there was shone down centrally over the ring (you can see some of it the first pic). Also there was the flaming ropes and I was sat ringside so these were always going to be a problem! Had to use a fairly high ISO and was battling to get the right shutter speed given the conditions. Anyway I'm still rank amateur at all this photograhy malarky!

Given this my aims were really just to try and capture the moment, be it eyes/facial expresssions & to get across the physique of these fighters and the overal feel of the place, so without further ado here we go and please C & C very Welcome - I'm here to learn! I'd also like to know what you would have done differently

1. Contender enters?!
boxing1a.jpg

2. Early exchange
boxing9a.jpg

3. Check out my Six Pack!!
boxing3a.jpg

4. Time for a breather and talk tactics
boxing6a.jpg

5. Listen to the boss
boxing11a.jpg

Last edited:
5th one is the best.. would have been perfect if looking this way.. there slightly blurred due to the shutter speed.. 1/80 is slow to catch movement and be anything other than soft.. Should never be scared to up the iso.. 1000 you used could have gone to 1600 and thus upped the shutter speed...

dont need much processing.. colour and darkness captures the mood I think:)

5th one is the best.. would have been perfect if looking this way.. there slightly blurred due to the shutter speed.. 1/80 is slow to catch movement and be anything other than soft.. Should never be scared to up the iso.. 1000 you used could have gone to 1600 and thus upped the shutter speed...

dont need much processing.. colour and darkness captures the mood I think:)

Hi Kipax - Thanks for the feedback and duly noted and I hope lesson learnt! The main battle I had was trying the get the shutter speed right and of course everytime I was fiddling with the camera a stunning KO would happen and I got a tad frustrated lol!

Are there any instances where a little blur can be good thing to try and get across the motion involved?

a little blur can be good to show movement but only if it happens in part.. like a punch and the arm is blurred.. not the whole picture :) deffo faster than 1/80 :)

I agree, and with the D300 you could go faster than 1600 if you had to. You could also open the lens up to give you a faster shutter and reduced dof. f2.8 would be nice.

Back