Multiple Canon Camera recording

Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve been asked by my local vicar if I could assist with recording/ live-streaming services for those unable to go to church. I’ve got a Canon EOS550D and a 7Dmkii, but I’ve literally never done any video in my life! I’ve downloaded the Canon USA utility that allows me to connect either camera to my laptop to control the recording remotely, my problem is I don’t want to intrude. I’d like to place one camera at the rear of the church to focus on the vicar, with a second camera at the front recording the person doing readings or leading prayers, however the utility will only recognise the first camera switched on. Is there anyway to run both cameras, start/stop recording and so on without spending a fortune?

With one camera and an internet connected windows computer you can you use the recent canon utility to livestream as if the camera was a webcam. Just put the camera in video mode no need to actually record in order to live stream.

For two or more cameras it gets more complicated. Ecamm software is one possibility as well as the suggestionabove.

What I’ve been using is an Atem Mini which connects to HDMI feeds from the cameras and outputs a USB feed as if it was a webcam. This will also take separate sound input so if you can connect to the church audio system you can have clear audio of the service.

Once you have your feed into the computer then you can livestream as you like over YouTube Facebook or many other platforms.

The platforms will also keep the recording although the quality will likely be less good than if you record in camera. However recording on the cameras is another degree of difficulty - 30 minutes max recording time then work to edit together render and publish afterwards. The recording time limit can be worked around with external recorders but that’s another escalation.

The most simple method would be stream using mobile phone with nothing else. Maybe it’s worth starting with that to see how many people watch, what their feedback is and what improvements you need?

hope this helps

Back