Mupe Bay, Dorset EDITS ALL DONE :)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I met someone from a gaming forum I'm on from the Netherlands who's here on his hols. The aim was to trek from West Lulworth to Mupe Bay for sunrise. We got there in time but unfortunately it was a misty overcast morning. Still, we managed to bag a load of images and it was great to see somewhere that's not easy to access. Here's a selection of the ones I've managed to PP so far. If anyone's interested here's the Google sat view https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6165401,-2.2244111,526m/data=!3m1!1e3

C&C welcome

Mupe Bay 1 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 2 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 3 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 4 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 5 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 6 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Mupe Bay 7 by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Last edited:
Hi Mike, you say the conditions were grey and overcast and I'm afraid that comes across in theses images - they are rather dull and flat.

Would be interested to see how they look in B&W.

Hi Mike, you say the conditions were grey and overcast and I'm afraid that comes across in theses images - they are rather dull and flat.

These need more contrast whether they are in mono or not.

Mike change you Flickr settings mate I downloaded this in original size
Edit
Here is a quick edit

Not-my-shot-84 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

These need more contrast whether they are in mono or not.

Mike change you Flickr settings mate I downloaded this in original size
Edit
Here is a quick edit

Not-my-shot-84 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Thanks loads for the helpful feedback and thanks ALf for spending the time to play with my image... it looks loads better.

I have to admit I'm normally quite timid with the contrast slider due to over doing it many times but your example Alf seems to say I need not be with landscapes so much. I have had a little play with a conversion but I don't normally do mono so sorry if it's a bit ropey lol

Mupe Bay mono1-6607
by Raptor Mike, on Flickr

Also Alf what settings do you mean I need to change? The upload size?
Many thanks (y)

Looks much better in B&W to me - things normally do when you have overcast conditions and in such cases you should be looking for contrast in images (i.e. look for the lights and darks and nice patterns they make).

Mike the originals are nice, but the edits are a vast improvement....especially the first.

Last edited:
I prefer the original of #5 but that's just me.................
You've got some quite nasty haloing/abberations round the rocks in 4 & 5. It's not quite so obvious on the Flickr version but it is there. You might have pushed something a bit too far. Never easy, is it?

I prefer the original of #5 but that's just me.................
You've got some quite nasty haloing/abberations round the rocks in 4 & 5. It's not quite so obvious on the Flickr version but it is there. You might have pushed something a bit too far. Never easy, is it?
Thanks Jan. I spent ages getting pesky halos out 2 and 3. Damn things. There's got to be an easy way. Replace colour sometimes works but I still had to do loads of cloning on 2.

Hi Mike, did a bit of researching in this place and they are saying you can only access this place during the week ends? How long did it take you to trek/walk in this place?

Hi Mike, did a bit of researching in this place and they are saying you can only access this place during the week ends? How long did it take you to trek/walk in this place?
Hi John
That's right because of the firing range. We went up a footpath in West Lulworth and up over the cliff then through the range and down to the beach. The range gates are unlocked at weekends. When we went back though we went along the bottom of the range and down some steps then along the beach at Lulworth Cove. I recon that would be an easier way to get there. The footpaths aren't on google maps. Where I was shooting it's all rock like you see in the photos so be prepared to do a lot of climing AND WATCH THE TIDES. We got there as it was just starting to come in so had plenty of time.

As you can see it's well worth the effort. It's such a rugged, yet stunning place.

Last edited:
Back