Beginner Music, or, my first roll of film

Edit My Images
Yes
Been having a crack at shooting film over the past year, and (rather worryingly) only just got around to developing them. So this is the first roll of film I've shot since I was a child, and the first I've ever developed. Shot on expired Kodak Max 400, Ilford ID-11, and a Canon EOS 650, scanned negatives, no adjustments.

Jen Armstrong EP Launch
by Stagezero Photography, on Flickr

Pigeon Detectives \\ Crooked Ways 2013

Jen Armstrong EP Launch

Fairly pleased with how they came out on a first attempt.

So haven't you done well! Under very difficult conditions too. The first is very nice indeed, perhaps a little soft but I'm guessing there would have been a fairly long exposure. No 2 feels a bit messy as a composition, and the highlights are blown out (might be the scanning), but it has a great life to it. No 3 again a bit soft and grainy; shame about the blurred music stand or whatever just above her hair, but there's a fantastic look in her eyes, nicely placed in the frame.

Was that Tmax400? Exposure pushed at all? It is pretty grainy, but I'm not knowledgeable on that subject. Nice work indeed.

Thanks Chris. I think 1 and 3 were around 1/20th to 1/30th. #2 was a snatched shot in between shooting digital at a festival, very sunny day and full auto hence the highlights. Something to work on next time though. The blurred stand effect is actually her reflection in the lid of the piano, doesn't come out well though!

Yeah, Tmax400, very much expired (3 or so years?), not pushed at all, I may have to do some reading on whether it's meant to be that grainy!

*edit* Sorry, it's not Tmax at all, its Kodak Max Versatility Colour... developed as B&W...

Last edited:
That is why it is 'Grainy' then !! When you process C41 as B&W and scan you are not getting all the layers properly.

For the effect that you maybe were trying to achieve I think #1 and #3 are the best,notwithstanding the photographic qualities of each shot they are very gritty,particularly the last which I like very much. Well done indeed for that one.(y)

that last image. i love it. i love the feel of the heavy grain and the framing.

Back