Mustang, Spitfire, Harvard and Lancaster - First Attempts!

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
Yes
A day at Rochester Airport while these were flying overhead. First attempts at photographic aircraft and I know I've a long way to go. The pictures of the Harvard are pretty big crops, but its my friend in the back of it and I was trying to catch the giddy expression on her face.

I havent yet mastered shutterspeed to blur the propellers etc., but any contructive comments would be appreciated - thanks for looking.

_MG_9196.jpg

_MG_9197.jpg

_MG_9303.jpg

_MG_9311.jpg

_MG_9329.jpg

_MG_9381.jpg

_MG_9421.jpg

_MG_9484.jpg

Nice set but go to shutter priority instead of apature and go for a shutter speed of around 250th should help with the prop blur

dave

Good efforts Jan.
Nice to see the Yellow Harvard getting about, proper Texan, that one.
Also nice shots of Frankie too.
Spitfire shots could do with a little lift, but are nice too. Some great angles there.
Dean:)

Great first attempt.

As mentioned above, to create a feel of movement, motion in your images, you'll need to play with shutter priority rather than aperture priority or the automodes. What this will allow you to do is not freeze the prop, but create a motion blur. Another thing to think about when taking moving subjects is to capture them early in the frame and pan with the subject keeping the focus point on the subject (half shutter press to get in focus and using AI SERVO) you get the image you want, take 1 or 2 shots burst, the 350D hasn't got a fast refresh for autofocus, so allow camera to refresh (about a second) then take a couple more shots.

Shutter speeds for prop planes, I would start around 1/400 sec and slowly move down once you have mastered the panning technique and feel comfortable of getting sharp images at the slower shutter speeds. I take most of my prop's at 1/320 sec, perhaps for a Lancaster 1/250 sec, but get comfortable first. Its all about mastering the technique and having a smooth pan.

Peter

If your lens has IS or OS if you are using Sigma check whether you have a panning option. Some lenses have two options, one for normal use and the other specifically for panning.

Secondly it is worth trying manuaul once you have got a bit more confident. Problem with our skies are one minute it is cloudy then sunny which can play havic with the camera trying to work out the exposure and iso etc... I find I get more keepers when using mannual. Take a few test shots then play around with the shutter speed for the prop blur.

Good luck

watch how you crop as well , some are good , some are too tight in my opinion , let the subject breathe a bit :)

has anyone tried panning at about 1/15, 1/30 to get background blur to? ive never seen it on planes but quite often on motor sports

has anyone tried panning at about 1/15, 1/30 to get background blur to? ive never seen it on planes but quite often on motor sports

Personally, unless you're mastered the panning technique and can keep a very smooth pan, at shutter speeds of 1/15 or 1/30 aren't achievable unless your throwing away about 90% of your shots and manage to get a lucky one.

Handheld for anything moving maybe 1/125 sec for cars, bikes 1/200, but I've seen the shots at these lower shutter speeds and well most have lovely blur, unfortunately the subject blurred or soft as well.

It might be an effect you want to achieve in your images, and there are togs out there that want the complete prop rotation capture, but I would rather have a detailed sharp shot with a blurred background at a slightly higher shutter speed.

Peter

im unexperienced in this i mentioned 1/15 because i tried it and succeeded to a degree on lawnmowers LOL just would be nice to see some examples as i never had

This is about the slowest i like to go, its a bit hit and miss.
1/40th sec - 40D - 100-400L
IMG_0360.jpg

Dean:)

the absolute lowest I go is 1/60 for helicopters and 1/90-1/125 for prop planes and get about a 70% of saver shots but like Pete Rush says panning technique is needed and looking at Dinos red he has it pretty well sewn up

Back